Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Tool Less Guide Rod Spring

gerritm

I have one in my DVC open gun. What is the lifespan of the spring and how can you tell if it is losing it's tension? What would be the malfunctions? I have about 5K rounds on it?

What type and weight spring do you replace it with?

gerritm

are you talking about the recoil spring on the guide rod?  If so, you would get malfunctions with feeding and other malfs that involve the slide cycling correctly.   5k rounds would be a good time to change it.   proabably a 10 pound wolf or ismi spring.  standard rate, not variable.  These are 1911 recoil springs.

Yes, the spring on the tool less guide rod. Shooting major, around 170PF. Having some random FTE and feeding issues. I put a new Brazos extractor in the other day and was testing it at the range. Ran about 50 rounds major with no problems. Had some of my PCC 9mm ammo and for grins tried it to see if it would cycle. Shot both the 147 BB with 3.1grs of Titegroup and the Eggleston 98gr with 4.4grs Titegroup and cycled them. Just thinking it probably shouldn't have cycled these so easily. Might be time to change the recoil spring.

gerritm

According to Dawson and their chart they came with 9# springs. I will try it and maybe order an 8# just to see what the difference is. Have had no problems with the dot dipping or movement with the one in there. More just the random FTE's after about 5K rounds. Ran great for a long time.

Thanks, gerritm