Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass tarp

TANFARM

Strange request....does anyone have experience with a mesh style tarp for catching brass?.

Were using the blue poly tarps and even with weights the wind is a PITA....big time.

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.............

Amazon sells big mosquito nets.  I bought an 8x12' for like $10 and stapled the edge to a piece of wood trim the length of that edge.  Wrap the wooden piece a few times then staple for a sure fit.  Then I took big flat washers and folded the 2 remaining corners over the washers and superglued them in place.  The washers act like weights and in the event of high winds you can even put stakes through the center of the washers.  To store it, I just roll it up.  The next one I make will have two wooden dowels on the one side so I can fold it in half and roll it up more compactly.

1 hour ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Found an old minnow seine in the garage. Cut and sewed it back together to make a 8' x 12' (rough estimate) mat with lead weights around the perimeter.  Works in any wind. 

Same idea I used sunshade material you can buy at the lumber box stores.

Cut it the size you want and sew with nylon fishing line a 1lbs lead ingot in the corners, seems to hold every time I've used it.

Brass magnets are great also, one of the clubs I belong to uses them for steel matches and classifier stages

My buddy picked up several of the mesh mats from Harbor Freight. Darn near perfect for our use. I think they are 10x12 , light weight, and seem to stay down ..in heavy wind we will spike the  corners.

Thanks for all the replies!!

• 2 weeks later...

Update.....the Harbor Freight mesh mats are excellent. Walked on constantly and holding up,very well. Will still need to spike 4 corners in heavy wind , but usually does fine.......best investment yet, getting an extra in case they stop being available!!

I welded some washers to long nails  ( 6 inch spike with 1 inch head) I use a "blue tarp" 8 x 10 I think from the big box store. stake the tarp down and shoot away. I usually only do this for 500 rnd plus practice days. I find my self doing more of a Live/dry hybrid type of practice. more dry with some live mixed in.

• 1 month later...