Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sandbaggers

So, what are you sandbaggers out there trying to accomplish? Do you feel like a winner when you are 1st in a class that you know you don't belong in?

Just a thought......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow !!!

You really like controversy ...    ^_^

First, there are NO SandBaggers ...   We're all too nice to sand bag.    ;)

Second, all the sandbaggers I've met were trying to postpone the

inevitability of going up a notch ...

Once you've hit B, and you're shooting at a low A level, you will come

in very nicely if you're ranked B, and not very well if you're ranked A.

I have to say, it takes a LOT of ability to compute what to shoot on

a Classifier and then execute it, to stay in your B class.  And, a lot of

Brass, because everyone you shoot with weekly knows exactly what you're

doing.

But, a personal observation is that an awful lot of the better shooters

that I've shot with are sandbaggers, or seem to have a LOT of trouble

with Classifiers.  Not sure which ....    :)

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

I used to be really bothered by both sandbaggers and grandbaggers.  What really annoyed me were the people who would re-shoot just the classifier stage trying to up their percentage.  I understand having a bad malfunction or something and trying to shoot to and be classified to your true ability.  I am meaning those who shoot it over and over until they hero (and not zero) it.  Now, I really don't care.  I just play my game, and let them do their thing.  That doesn't mean that I don't make fun of them in my mind though.

2 hours ago, jchris4769 said:

So, what are you sandbaggers out there trying to accomplish? Do you feel like a winner when you are 1st in a class that you know you don't belong in?

Just a thought......

Does STI still have a contigency program?

USPSA could just get rid of the classification system.

(No smiley this time).

If you notice how HQ breaks out the results for a major match within a division, it is first to last with no attention paid to classification.

If HQ cared that much, they could lump all the GM's together, then the M's, then the A's, and so on and so forth.

Someone sounds sad they didn't win their class at the last match. 

Negative. I shoot matches to try and win or place high overall. No desire for a class trophy. I just think it's funny.

18 hours ago, jchris4769 said:

Negative. I shoot matches to try and win or place high overall. No desire for a class trophy. I just think it's funny.

Not a very convincing argument to me, since you took the time to make a thread about it... :ph34r:

But don't forget HQ does use Major MATCH Results also when calculating Classifications.

If your match scores are a "B" percentage and you are classified as "C", you can be bumped into "B"  via the USPSA-President.

7 minutes ago, Dennis (CT) said:

But don't forget HQ does use Major MATCH Results also when calculating Classifications.

If your match scores are a "B" percentage and you are classified as "C", you can be bumped into "B"  via the USPSA-President.

Yes and no. Some majors do, some don't (I think they apply for it?). I was at a major last year that had 4 open GM's and it did not count. Another major had 3 open GMs and it did count.

7 hours ago, mosher said:

If 3 GM's in a division and they all shoot at least 90%, and at least 50 shooters in division, it counts as classifier.

Where are you getting this info?

16 hours ago, Sarge said:

Where are you getting this info?

Directly from the guy who wrote the code? Rob Boudrie keeps us up to date over on Doodie. That is why Area 1 didn't count as a classifier for open, because even though there were plenty of shooters and GMs, none of the GMs finished at 90 or better of JJ. 

Is it true that you can re shoot a classifier at a match? I was reading through the rule book and that's how I read it. So far I've blown my classifiers and will be way under classified. Not on purpose I just choked.

How would this work out?  At major matches everyone goes in unclassified, you shoot the match and your classified based on the percentage you shoot for that match.  That way no one knows where they are going to finish, if you happen to be a gm and you shoot bad, things go wrong and you only shoot 65%.  For that match and that day you are a B class shooter.  If your c class and happen to have a kick ass day and you shoot 76% guess what your A class for that match.  No one can sandbag because you have no idea where you will end up.  If your a gm and you shoot well you will be where your supposed to be.  This idea was just a thought, there are probably things wrong with it, but could it work?

9 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

Directly from the guy who wrote the code? Rob Boudrie keeps us up to date over on Doodie. That is why Area 1 didn't count as a classifier for open, because even though there were plenty of shooters and GMs, none of the GMs finished at 90 or better of JJ. 

That "code" should be published then because the rule book and the classifier book don't mention it. No set numbers and no set percentage are referenced.

And doodie is the best communication channel area one can come up with? Yikes

Edited by Sarge

On 6/3/2017 at 0:39 PM, fireman1776 said:

Is it true that you can re shoot a classifier at a match? I was reading through the rule book and that's how I read it. So far I've blown my classifiers and will be way under classified. Not on purpose I just choked.

yes, the rules allow you to reshoot a classifier once, for classification purposes only (not for match score). There didn't used to be a limit of one, but some B shooter abused the process to get a fake GM card.

9 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

There didn't used to be a limit of one, but some B shooter abused the process to get a fake GM card.

Sounds like a great story! I know a guy who did that. I even know who helped him do it. I think they missed an ethics class somewhere along the line!

On 6/3/2017 at 1:48 PM, Gooldylocks said:

And the BOD notes are recommended changes.The current rule book is still the bible.

On 6/4/2017 at 11:56 AM, IronicTwitch said:

I saw it mentioned in the January 2017 BOD minutes.   Not sure how that should formally flow into the rules.   Here's a link to the presentation, see slides 8-11:

https://www.uspsa.org/bodminutes/20170121_Classifier 101.pdf

I only see a slide show recommending a change. Do the minutes actually vote on this and change it? If so that should be common knowledge by now.