Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed vs Accuracy For a C Class Shooter

I am just an C class shooter.  Classifier scores are getting near close to B class.  I shot the Buckeye Blast last weekend (production) and was looking at the results.  I think I am trying to go too fast and giving up too many Cs.  What would a B shooter have as far as % of A zone hits.

I was at 

A - 69%

C - 23%

I think I need to work on getting more points.  Heading to Area 5 this weekend and want to try a new plan of attack.  Thoughts

Speed vs. accuracy is a loosing train of thought. You've got to work on grip, trigger control, and learning an acceptable sight picture for the particular shot. I know it sucks to hear but I'm in a similar boat, B class production at the moment.

Do you dry fire? Do you force yourself to call shots in dryfire? Are you gripping the ever loving crap out of the gun & running the trigger hard & straight back? If you answer no to any of the questions, then you've got a starting point.

Do you see your sights lift with every shot? If not, you've got a flinch like me. And that is something only live fire will overcome.

But to answer your question on zone hits; forget what anything but a GM does & strive for that.  The last 3 years at production nationals the top guys hit ~93% of points and ~85% alphas.

At a match the speed will be what it will be. Focus on shooting the most points as quickly as you can see the targets in an acceptable sight picture. As Steve Anderson said... "If I always call my shots, I will be shooting my speed". Something to always keep in mind.

Edited by SCTaylor

You can't only have one. You have to shoot lots of points, and quickly. 

That being said, if you have an area match coming up this weekend you don't really have time to train and get any better than you are right now. So what I would recommend is shoot lots and lots of points, but turn up your movement speed and transitions as much as you can while staying in control. 

Last weekend at the Oregon State Championships in open I shot 78% alphas, 95.3% of the points before penalties and 90.7 of the points after penalties (aka, don't shoot 6 penalties in a 10 stage match).

The guy who won production (Hwansik, of course) shot 88.5% alphas, 94.8% of the points and had no penalties. 

The guy who won Limited (Cha-Lee) shot 76.6% alphas, 94% of the points and had no penalties.

What do all these numbers have in common? Lots and lots of points. 

When shooting minor:

1. 80/20 As vs Cs over the course of a match is a worthy goal at your level.

2. Never make up a C.

3. Never leave a D or Mike behind.

^ This is my general advice for novice through C class guys. In reality as you get better it depends greatly on the situation and the expected HF for the stage, but for now? KISS.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

important thing to note is to avoid slowing down to get more A's. Just pay a little more attention to your aiming. you should be able to up your A's by 10% or so without going any slower.

Completely 100% true

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think ideally 90%+ points whatever your grade but it can depend on the stages/match. I have never worried about the split between A, C and D as long as the overall % is acceptable. 

DVC has a silent E for efficiency - correctly balancing your current speed and accuracy plus power factor will get you the best result on match day.  Easier said than done. 

Steve Anderson's podcasts have some good information on training modes - speed, accuracy and match. 

You say your classification is in the high 50% range, but how do you match scores compare?  What percentage of the winner's score do you typically shoot?  That will tell you where you can improve.

Here's an example: if the match winner has a classification of 95%, and you shot 70% of the winning HF, you shot at a level of 66.5; if you're consistently performing lower than your classification, you need to work on those skills not reflected in classifier stages (movement, stage planning, etc.). On the other hand, if you're consistently outperforming your classification, draws, splits, transitions, accuracy, are likely the weakest part of your game.

I work the math of time, hits, penalties with practiscore after a match.  Even before a match when practicing to see what makes more sense.  In most cases, at my crappy level  anyway!, taking an extra 10th of a second to ensure a solid sight picture and a A hit beats the C or D hit.  But it makes the most sense when standing and shooting.  If there are 4 targets, 8 shots and it takes 4 seconds to get 4A and 4C or 4.5 seconds to get 7A and 1C.  The first one is a HF of 8.0 and the other is 8.44.  

Helpful to know that , especially when pushing too hard and C's turn to M's  or NS! 

Obviously,  the goal is 8A in much less time but this is my method of working to that goal.  The "discovery" is shooting at the speed where the sights are on target and shots are callable is only slightly slower, but scores better.  Moving FAST during the course of fire is different than shooting fast. 

The bulk of my time is burned by moving too slowly and hesitating in carrying out the stage plan. So I'm trying to make hits when shooting and move fast when moving.

On 6/13/2017 at 5:40 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Oh, I Look and Sound GREAT ...  my only problem is the damn timer.    :( 

and the paper.  The holes seem to drift away from the center and out to the edge after shooting and before scoring.  Some even fall completely off the paper!

Crash right now its 2-3 matches a month. I was dryfiring 2x a week using Steve Anderson drills till it warmed up.  I know I need to dryfire more, it's just finding the time.

My Area 5 results were as follows:

Points shot 88.5%

Points Shot w/penalty 81.42

finish 78/107 48% of the match %

I had some really good stages for me (Hign 30s and low 40s finish place), but then I blew up on some stages as well.

And Jack I can look and sound great as well :)

Im sure you can find 15 minutes a day to dry fire.  Set that alarm 15 minutes earlier and bang out some focused reps every day.  Skip a match or two and go train at the range.  Shooting just matches will not get you out of C class.  You could dry fire your way out of C class 15 minutes a day in a matter of weeks.  The cold hard truth is it all depends on your level of participation and what you REALLY want.  If you want out of C class get a training schedule with your hands on your gun every day.  If your cool with and having fun just shooting matches then thats great.  Otherwise there are no shortcuts, effort in results out. 

10 minutes ago, CrashDodson said:

Im sure you can find 15 minutes a day to dry fire.  Set that alarm 15 minutes earlier and bang out some focused reps every day.  Skip a match or two and go train at the range.  Shooting just matches will not get you out of C class.  You could dry fire your way out of C class 15 minutes a day in a matter of weeks.  The cold hard truth is it all depends on your level of participation and what you REALLY want.  If you want out of C class get a training schedule with your hands on your gun every day.  If your cool with and having fun just shooting matches then thats great.  Otherwise there are no shortcuts, effort in results out. 

Preach, my padawan.

There's no such thing as "finding the time". No one has the time. Everyone is busy. Some people just make it happen while others live with excuses.

You'll get better dryfiring six days a week for 5-10 minutes than you will dryfiring twice a week for 30 minutes.

Gun handling skills get you out of C very easily. Turning draws, surrender draws, reloads, and getting the gun into your weak hand in less than two seconds. Etc.

Handling the gun briefly every day is so much better at building smooth gun handling than handling it once or twice.

On 6/16/2017 at 5:50 PM, CrashDodson said:

Indeed. I made B by a c-hair with virtually zero live fire and shooting 1 match a month but dry firing about 2 hours per week. Throw in 1 or 2 live fire sessions on a range per month and you'll get really good, really fast.