Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

power factor

can any one tell me the necessary gear to compute power factor? what tools and techniques do you use? i shoot 9 mm but being pushed to shoot 40. looking for a limited pistol but considering an open

any advice is appreciated

Power factor is the bullet weight, in grains, times the velocity, in fps, divided by 1000.

As I recall, in Limited, to qualify for Major, it must be at minimum 40 caliber.  You can use 9mm, but it will score as Minor no matter the actual power factor.

Equipment would be a scale to weigh bullets, a chronograph to measure velocity and a calculator to do the calculation.  Some chronographs will do the calculation for you

Guy

8 hours ago, sheepdog69 said:

I shoot 9 mm    .... 

but being pushed to shoot 40.....

looking for a limited pistol....

but considering an open?

As long as you're undecided, I would stick with the 9mm.

Not sure what you mean "being pushed to shoot .40", BUT I wouldn't cave in ... stick with the 9mm.

I definitely would NOT buy a Limited gun if you're considering Open ...   Or, you'll end up with three pistols.

Sounds like this might be a new hobby for you - I'd go slowly before investing a whole lot of money in it.

For $70 - $100, you can buy a Chronograph - that will very easily tell you how fast your bullets are going.

As Guy mentioned above, I'd fire 20 rounds over the chrono, make sure they all are at PF, and average

the 20 of them.   Weigh a bullet (many times 147 gr bullets are NOT 147.0 gr, but lighter or heavier).

Multiply velocity (average) x bullet weight ( 148.5) and that number will be somewhere around 130,000,

or so for 9mm Minor.   Drop the last three digits, and it becomes 130 - that means your PF is 130, and

you need 125 to make Minor PF minimum (drop below 125 PF and you are NOT shooting for score.

Take your time, no reason to rush into .40 or Open - just enjoy and learn (or vice versa).    :) 

• 2 months later...