Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 rimfire pistols

lawboy

So, who here shoots a dedicated 2011 rimfire pistol besides myself?  I know at least a few of you have them.

Mine is built on an aluminum frame and hosts a Marvel Unit 1.  I use Nelson Custom magazines.

Runs well using a #10 recoil spring and high velocity ammunition.

Gun without magazine weights 27.5ozs with a Vortez Venom MRD mounted.

I like it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never saw the value in a 2011 for RFPO.  I run my Unit 1 on a 1911 frame.  Same for my custom CWA Exo3 upper.  Mags are cheaper and the lower is cheaper.

Interesting.  I first tried a Nelson marvel conversion and could not get it to run on either my Sig 1911 or the custom one.  The Unit 1 runs like a champ on either.  Mags cost $18 for the plastic ones from Brownell's, and less for the AAs, etc.  I've never tried it on my 2011s, because they both have 9/40 ejectors and the Unit 1 will only run with a 45 ejector, or none at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

ive been pouring over this topic for some time as well.  While i do own both a Marvel unit 1 and a Tacsol Upper for a standard 1911 lower, I consistently compete with my Rugers and Volquartsens.  The muscle memory thing for me doesnt pan out.  The only thing I "really" like to be the same is the feel of a 1911 grip angle which you can acheive with a Ruger 22/45, a S&W model 41, and a Volquartsen. Other things like slide release, mag button, etc dont matter a whole lot because there is no reloading in steel challenge.  If you have a significant jam to clear, your stage is over regardless so it doesnt matter if you have a slide racker in the same spot as your open major gun. These other guns have all proven ridiculously accurate, reliable, and cheaper than the 1911/2011 conversion builds.

The conversions have a cool factor but if you're looking for pure competition, I think there are better options. 

Edited by ksf141

• 3 weeks later...

I shoot a dedicated 2011 for SC. I have it setup exactly like my Open gun. My reasoning here is that I want as close as the feel on both so that any variation would be negligible. Site acquisition, trigger pull, grip etc.. I did the same on my Limited gun as well, at least on the grip, frame trigger etc. I'm not concerned about wight, just the 'feel' of it. 

I'm using a TacSol conversion with Advantage Arms mags.  To be honest it was pain to get it to run, however I am stubborn and I did finally get it to run consistently. 

On a side note to this setup; In the near future I will be building a backup gun to my Open. All I will have to do is build a new top end for the dedicated 22 and I'll be good to go. (another part of my reasoning for going this route)  

The top is my open, bottom the 22 conversion. The grip has been replaced on the conversion to match the open gun, but now needs replacing again as I went to an E2 steel grip and I added a thumb rest to it.?

331678080_TheTwins.thumb.jpg.c3e3d3412f3c58608b50b5e0acefb201.jpg

Edited by schaet

Those 2011's look really good.  I can see putting a .22LR conversion on a competition frame, but since there's no draw in steel challenge with rimfire is it really worth the cost vs a regular rimfire pistol. 

If I can get my old Ruger MK1 to function I really like the way it handles, points and it's trigger vs the S&W M22 I have.  I used it at a side event at the '85 or '86 (same year TGO won it) Bianchi Cup to take 16th and that was drawing from a chapman hi-ride holster which it happen to fit.

If you have the money, the WOW COOL factor is definitely worth it though.

Edited by pskys2

For me it was for the consistency factor (My Limited gun is pretty much the same configuration without the comp and site), but I also had an ulterior motive; I'm going to build a 9mm top end for it down the road to use as a backup gun ?

It's the old two birds one stone idea! (not to mention to the Mrs. it's only one gun! ?)

Allot of guys I shoot steel with are using the Ruger flavors very successfully.  They are great guns. I myself started with a S&W 22A and that actually was very reliable, but I as I shot more and more USPSA for me the "all the same platform" route was the way I wanted to go. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Revofan said:

I don’t know which to go with for rfpi

nelson custom or  tacsol 2211

It will be on a 2011 frame

any recommendations ?

and why ?

Well you know my opinion on this. Maybe next match I'll let you shoot mine ?

2 hours ago, Revofan said:

I don’t know which to go with for rfpi

nelson custom or  tacsol 2211

It will be on a 2011 frame

any recommendations ?

and why ?

Before you spring for a Nelson, call and make sure it will work on your 2011.  The Nelson is very, very finicky about mag catch height and ejector profile.

On 8/20/2018 at 7:12 PM, Scootertheshooter said:

I thought there would be more interest in this post . I was hoping to get some ideas here on it

Should pretty much sum it up for you.  In competition, especially high level, “conversion” is a four letter word.  Plinking, or playing, sure.  Racing a Yugo against Porsches no matter what the Yugo cost.