Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 Barrel bushing, does it make a difference

Johrichal

Definitely made a difference in grouping. It's relatively easy if you you put the slide and the new bushing in the freezer to slightly shrink them. Then use a 1/4 inch extension with 10mm socket, remove front sight pin, place slide facing downward and hammer bushing out from inside slide. Shouldn't take more n than 10 mins to take out old and put in new

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

yes it made a difference in the two guns i've done it to. mine were fairly easy to do as well. besides freezing the new bushing i also used a tiny bit of oil as well on the new bushing to help seat it.

23 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

Hand fit AND bushing?  I think it would be pretty amazing.  DO IT!

I've always wondered what part is "hand fit" on the orange?  Hood, link?  

11 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I've always wondered what part is "hand fit" on the orange?  Hood, link?  

Good question.  I don't have an Orange, so I can't say for sure.  IIRC, aren't the slide and frame supposedly hand fit?  It's not worth my time to research, but that's always been my impression. *shrug*

11 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

Good question.  I don't have an Orange, so I can't say for sure.  IIRC, aren't the slide and frame supposedly hand fit?  It's not worth my time to research, but that's always been my impression. *shrug*

I thinking just marketing hype. I can't tell a difference in the Orange vs any other shadow I've had.   Though, I'm no expert on fitting so,....

Another satisfied CGW bushing customer.  I didn't bother with the whole freezer bit, just pressed the old one out and tapped the new one in.  Made a noticeable difference in my groupings.  

I have read that the bushing is will wear (not sure how many rounds) and need to be replaced to maintain the improved accuracy.

I bought a used Shadow Target over the winter with a claimed 20,000 rounds through the barrel, you could see the wear on the original bushing. Bought the CGW bushing, popped it in and dayum is the barrel snug in there. No slop at all. (slides freely)

Edited by mikeinctown

27 minutes ago, JacobThomas said:

I might have to give it a shot!

Make sure you get the correct bshing as there are different sizes. Measure the barrel diameter to be sure. Also, follow the instructions to a T. I believe they tell you to use a certain size socket to knock the old bushing out. Make sure you use that size only because any other size will not work right and you'll just wind up swearing. Make sure you align the slot on top of the bushing with the roll pin slot for the front sight before you start knocking the new bushing in. I just used a hammer and a block of wood and it popped right in. On my original barrel there were some fine scratches from where the old bushing and barrel wore together so I took the barrel and polished it up so it would slide perfect in the new bushing. The black barrel coating comes off in seconds on a polishing wheel.

Thanks for all the great info. Im going to put in an order tomorrow for the bushing and a srs disconnector from cgw. I also need a front sight I bought a competition rear sight from czc but didnt want to drill out the front for the pin so I think ill go with the cgw fiber optic front. From what Ive read seems like ill need a 6.5mm. Does that sound right?

9 hours ago, Johrichal said:

Thanks for all the great info. Im going to put in an order tomorrow for the bushing and a srs disconnector from cgw. I also need a front sight I bought a competition rear sight from czc but didnt want to drill out the front for the pin so I think ill go with the cgw fiber optic front. From what Ive read seems like ill need a 6.5mm. Does that sound right?

Best to give them a call. My SP-01 manual safety had factory night sights and I bought the 050-390 Fiber Optic Front Sight as it claims that it is the same height as the factory front sight. I left the OEM rear sight on. I was told by CGW if I changed out the rear sight to go with the one they sell with the serrations that I would need a different front sight that they sell as a set.

FWIW the barrel bushing was put into a used Shadow Target that I bought while the front sight and other work I'm messing with is for a regular SP-01.

The 10X bushing may make no difference at all if your existing bushing is still good.

I've had replacement bushings put into two CZs.  The first was a custom tool steel bushing put into a CZ 75B SAO upper.  It replaced the worn bushing (.008" of slop) and cut group sizes from 3" at 15 yards to the same hole at 15 yards.

My TS bushing had worn over time and was not as accurate as when the pistol was new.  A CGW 10X bushing restored the accuracy to new.  Accuracy is back to one hole groups at 15 yards, but not same hole.

The advantage of the custom tool steel bushing is it won't ever wear out.  The 10X is harder than the CZ OEM bushing, so accuracy should be maintained for longer.

On 5/31/2017 at 11:12 AM, mikeinctown said:

Make sure you get the correct bshing as there are different sizes. Measure the barrel diameter to be sure. Also, follow the instructions to a T. I believe they tell you to use a certain size socket to knock the old bushing out. Make sure you use that size only because any other size will not work right and you'll just wind up swearing. Make sure you align the slot on top of the bushing with the roll pin slot for the front sight before you start knocking the new bushing in. I just used a hammer and a block of wood and it popped right in. On my original barrel there were some fine scratches from where the old bushing and barrel wore together so I took the barrel and polished it up so it would slide perfect in the new bushing. The black barrel coating comes off in seconds on a polishing wheel.

Thanks! That is very helpful information. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody experience problems with their Shadow/SP-01 retiring to full battery with the 10x bushing?  I always worry things will fit a bit too tightly and negatively impact lockup.  Thanks in advance.

16 minutes ago, CTD_P2A said:

Anybody experience problems with their Shadow/SP-01 retiring to full battery with the 10x bushing?  I always worry things will fit a bit too tightly and negatively impact lockup.  Thanks in advance.

No, not a bit (Shadow and SP01 Shadow).  

Are you personally having a problem with returning to battery after installing a 10x bushing?  I haven't heard of anyone having such a problem. not to worry.

Haven't installed yet, but have had problems with some other tightly fit firearms over the years.  

Glad to hear that it shouldn't be an issue.  Looking forward to even greater accuracy...or at least placebo effect of having the bushing.  

Thanks!