Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Activator question

aandabooks

WSB says that an activator has to be engaged before shooting the star that is being held in place by a stick to stop rotation.  Shooter shoots at the activator and doesn't knock it down.  Begins shooting the star and knocks off several plates.

Should there be procedural penalties issued for each plate on the star hit or was the WSB followed and no penalties?

Based on the way you said it, it sounds fine. He engaged the activator before shooting the star. 

9.9.4 is the rule your referring to and the wsb really isn't wrote correctly to have that apply. 

Write better wsb, or build better stages? 

9.9.4 Level I matches only - If the written stage briefing prohibits the engagement of certain targets prior to activation, the competitor will incur one procedural penalty per shot fired at such targets prior to operating the activating mechanism, up to the maximum number of avail-able hits (see Rule 2.1.8.5.1).

No.  After hitting the activator low and moving onto the star I went back and shot the activator again before finishing the star.  Dropping the activator on the second shot left nothing for calibration.

Setting aside the rules question (already answered) - The whole dang point of a star is that it is self-activating!!  Why would you mess with that jamming a stick in it?  That seems like the height of a stage designer outsmarting himself.  

Since a full star can be cleared with little to no movement (if done correctly), I'm going to assume that all of the plates weren't on the star to begin and the designer was trying to force people to engage it while moving.  Otherwise the stick has no purpose.

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

Since a full star can be cleared with little to no movement (if done correctly), I'm going to assume that all of the plates weren't on the star to begin and the designer was trying to force people to engage it while moving.  Otherwise the stick has no purpose.

It is a full star and has a weight bolted to one of the arms to create an off balance stance to aid the star in spinning.  It is marked on one arm so that the star is always set the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

First Memphis Charity match Hopalong had a Polish Plate Rack on the back side of a wall with a weight on one side and the popper activator on the other side of the wall.  WSB said engage the activator before engaging the plate rack.  I did the shot in the berm while running and shot the plate rack static.  The RM was called and siad I had to reshoot it and activate it first.  Four runs later I finally got a clean run.  I protested but did not arb the call.  Should have ponied up the $100.

Paul Beck

Be certain of what the WSB says.