Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I Collect My Brass

The range where I shoot has been really good about collecting brass. They know me and when they sweep behind people they shove it over to my lane. They joke that my bag is heavier leaving some days than when I come in. I send to a Freedom Munitions and take advantage of their credit program. They aren't giving as much as they used to but every bit helps.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, BRJACKET said:

The range where I shoot has been really good about collecting brass. They know me and when they sweep behind people they shove it over to my lane. They joke that my bag is heavier leaving some days than when I come in. I send to a Freedom Munitions and take advantage of their credit program. They aren't giving as much as they used to but every bit helps.

This is how it starts, next thing you know you will have 5 gallon buckets full of brass sorted by caliber :D

Buddy of mine and I have been helping clean up all the brass at our local range's outlaw multi gun matches, in less then 3 months we have about 15 gallons of .223, 7 gallons of 9mm, about 3 gallons of 40, and a handful of .45. I already load on a single stage for rifle ammo and Dillon SDB for 45 acp,

Granted that he has also been stopping by the range and has been savaging (with RSO permission) and I usually ask everyone at the matches if they want any brass to let me know.

Next step in our plan is to have him chip in some $$ towards a Dillon 650 I'm getting and start loading up a stock pile of 9mm 223 for both of us to use up at the multi gun shoots and a pile of 40 for my limited setup (G35 that I am going to run w/ 9mm conversion for multi gun) 

I have a nephew who is on an FBI swat team. He said the range where they train is also used by Seals and Deltas. The first time he saw it he said the ground looked odd. He realized that it was all brass. They don't collect it and so the ground is covered by around 2 feet of brass, everywhere.

Either way, I would say it is worth it. If you ever plan to start reloading save all the brass you can. I am kicking myself because a year ago I thought I would never reload 223 as I didn't have a press I could do it on. A few months pass by and I got a good deal on a 650. Now I am kicking myself for selling 1500 pieces of 223 brass. 

If nothing else, as others have said, you can always sell it in the classifieds brass section, or send it in to a company that offers a credit program.

15 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

Collect all the brass in 9mm, .40S&W, and .223.  Everything else is garbage.

Not true! I often trade my non reloaded calibers for stuff I need with other reloaders. Works out well for me when I have tons of useless to me cases but need something like 9mm which is plentiful but I go through a lot of.

Oh Lord, send me all the 45-70 brass  !!!

Check prices on some of the less popular calibers on some of the brass sites.

I only currently shoot 9mm. I have gone to the range twice since making this thread and have collected each time.

If I do not end up reloading, maybe I will do some sort of free raffle for forum members. Winner takes all, just pay for shipping.[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, anonymouscuban said:

I only currently shoot 9mm. I have gone to the range twice since making this thread and have collected each time.

If I do not end up reloading, maybe I will do some sort of free raffle for forum members. Winner takes all, just pay for shipping.emoji3.png

Per the forum guidelines. ..

Raffles
Because it is impossible for the BE Staff to verify that raffles are run fairly, correctly and according to the laws governing them in various locations, we have decided on a 'no raffles' policy. We understand some legitimately good causes may be impacted by this, but felt it was in the best interest of the membership overall.

GrumpyOne

Per the forum guidelines. ..

Raffles
Because it is impossible for the BE Staff to verify that raffles are run fairly, correctly and according to the laws governing them in various locations, we have decided on a 'no raffles' policy. We understand some legitimately good causes may be impacted by this, but felt it was in the best interest of the membership overall.

GrumpyOne

Thanks Grumpy. Did not know this.

I'd suggest sorting it and only "scrapping" cases that are damaged and also all fired primers you will eventually collect if/when you begin reloading.

Usable cases will bring much more than the scrap price.  9mm probably one of the lesser priced ones but the unit price goes up from there.

http://store.kensbrass.com/t/large-caliber-rifles-300-500

Haven't started reloading yet, but I've been saving most of my brass for the past year.    (I don't always pick it up at a match.......shooting 9mm)

So, I've got a good stockpile of 9mm and .223 for when i start.  

In the event that what I said above isn't very clear, fired primers are brass and go for the same price as the brass cases at a scrapyard, so don't discard them either.

Admittedly dumb regarding this topic but all the ejected cases I have seen always have the primer in them. I assumed that when you sell your "brass", its the case and the primer. I sounds like it is not. ??

6 minutes ago, anonymouscuban said:

Admittedly dumb regarding this topic but all the ejected cases I have seen always have the primer in them. I assumed that when you sell your "brass", its the case and the primer. I sounds like it is not. ??

That depends on how much prep work the seller is doing. Some sell as is, some clean, some clean, de-prime, and size.