Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I Collect My Brass

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.  Even if you only use it to send to Freedom Munitions.  Or you could decide to sell it. 9mm brass doesn't go for much, but it's better than 0.

When you say send it to Freedom Munitions, what do you mean? Do they buy it or is it like a donation or something?

Admittedly do not know too much about them other than they sell reloaded ammo for cheap.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, anonymouscuban said:

When you say send it to Freedom Munitions, what do you mean? Do they buy it or is it like a donation or something?

Admittedly do not know too much about them other than they sell reloaded ammo for cheap.

They buy back brass and give you credit towards stuff on their site:

https://www.freedommunitions.com/brass-credit-program

They buy back brass and give you credit towards stuff on their site:

https://www.freedommunitions.com/brass-credit-program

Cool man. Thanks. I just feel bad sweeping it all down range. Seems like a waste. Shit, I would feel better even just giving it away to someone that reloads.

I guess I am gonna start collecting it in buckets. LOL

I look at spent brass much as if each case was a nickel.  I know 9mm is worth less than that, but on average, 5 cents each isn't a bad estimate.  Some calibers are worth much more than that. 

When you have a large ziplock baggie full of spent cases, and imagine each one is a nickel, collecting your brass definitely seems worthwhile! 

A bucket full of nickels would certainly be worthwhile!  

OTOH, if you shoot at any ranges that I shoot at, don't worry about it.  Just leave it on the floor...  I'll take care of it for you!  LOL! 

Edited by Ken6PPC

Depends on how much you shoot ...

If you shoot a box a month - forget it.

If you're shooting a box a week - you'll soon be

reloading - so save it.

Don't store it in cardboard - it will "rust".   Store it in

some type of inert material like plastic or glass, and

good to keep it airtight.    :) 

Wait...brass shouldn't rust, should it?  Maybe tarnish, but should it actually rust?  Or am I missing the joke?  LOL

Have any of you ever had someone yell at you for picking up their brass?  I did that before and it kind of put me off.  I was thinking of starting to reload, so I started trying to collect my own brass and accidentally picked up some of the brass of the guy next to me and he started getting all ticked off and yelling at me accusing me of stealing his brass and such.  I only picked up like one or two pieces and still had it in my hand.  It wasn't like a had a whole batch and had it stuff away already or something.  LOL!

That's the only issue I have is when someone freaks.  I didn't even do it on purpose.  I would have asked first (as I have seen most people here do).  I'm just wondering how many people have had people freak out if you pick up their brass.  LOL

Well that was the thing. I was picking up my brass and it was an indoor range and you know how the brass bounces so some bounced behind me and on his side of the lane behind him. I waited until he wasn't shooting before I was trying to collect my own brass. And I guess he thought I was trying to just collect everything. ??

The short answer is yes save it. 

I have gotten to the to the point where I don't pick up much brass anymore unless it is conveniently in a pile. I rarely walk between bays and search for brass anymore.  That's just me.  At $0.03/case that's $5-7 per match. 

Once you have a stock pile of brass you start getting lazy... IMO. (I did) :)

It was that great statesman and world-class communicator (Bruce Willis) who once said, "Welcome to the party, pal!!"

Welcome to the reloading party!

Edited by Dr. Phil

Yes you should. I was in your boat a few years ago. I would save what I could in case I started reloading later on. I still haven't paid for brass and have reloaded a few thousand rounds (not much I know)

Just think of the brass as money. Each one is worth a penny or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk