Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Pistol Powder?

rbuck

2 minutes ago, superdude said:

Not in any particular order.       HS-6, Autocomp, WAP, 3N38, 3N37, N350, A#7.  

hasha:) im shooting HS-6 8.3 grains, OAL 1.155, 115 JHP V2s EGA, and getting a PF of 175. some of my friends are shooting the same bullet but with OAL 1.165 and using HS-6 8.9g. i dont know whats going on. thats a big difference 

2 minutes ago, superdude said:

different lot #, diff barrel/chamber, diff OAL.  differences abound. 

okay, would the pressure decrease if i increased the OAL? that would decrease PF as well corrrect?

18 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: HS-6 is my favorite 9mm major powder. Lots of gas to work the comp, cheap and you can usually find it. Thanks, Eric

Where I live in europe hs-6 is twice as expensive as 3n38 :o   hence.. we use 3n38, so guess its a bit geo dependand.

If 3n38 cost half for you, would you still choose hs6? 

59 minutes ago, ano said:

Where I live in europe hs-6 is twice as expensive as 3n38 :o   hence.. we use 3n38, so guess its a bit geo dependand.

If 3n38 cost half for you, would you still choose hs6? 

Hello: I would shoot 3N37 if it was half the cost of HS-6. I do like the flames from 3N38 though so I may shoot both. Thanks, Eric

the 3n38 flames is greatly varying on the primers actually, its pretty interesting, magtech will make insane flames, winchester will make 0 flames on  the same gun/load.

ofcourse comp, hybrid holes etc also has a lot to say here.  I have a 3 hole hybrid barrel that isnt any good for inside shooting ;) 

22 minutes ago, ano said:

magtech will make insane flames, winchester will make 0 flames on  the same gun/load.

Wow !!!    I'm surprised.   

I would have guessed that primers would make ZERO difference.

Thanks for the info.   

I thought so too, but the difference is massive, we are talking a meter of flame, vs none, on same gun same load, this has happend on different guns. 

I tried it a few times for buddies guns, but also when I RO'ed I've found some guys with INSANE flames, in 3 different cases, I asked what they use and they said 3n38, magtech primers etc.. I asked them to try to change to winchester, just for a test, all 3 people came back to me, saying the flames went away for them as well. 

Im hopeing someone can explain why and how this happens, guessing its how long/hard and how the ignition is done. 

Edited by ano

Hello: Depends on the Winchester primers used and power factor of the loads. The hottest Winchester primers for me are the Magnum small pistol then small rifle and lastly the regular small pistol. Lots of cowboy shooters use magnum small pistol primers and not much powder. Thanks, Eric

6 hours ago, TeedOff said:

I'm currently loading autocomp. 6.9 gr under Montana gold 124gr jhp. Working well in both my guns. Runs about 174 PF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. What type of gun are you running? For open, I have never seen anything under 7.8 grains.

Just now, BiggMike said:

Wow. What type of gun are you running? For open, I have never seen anything under 7.8 grains.

I'm running 6.8gr wac, MG 121gr with 3 brl holes and chrono'd 174 last weekend at a match. 

7.8gr maybe with a 115 and a slow brl?

10 hours ago, BiggMike said:

Umm 7.8 of wac is an insane load in 9mm and very hot even in 38 super. 

9mm major will easily make pf under 7gn depending on bullet/oal ect. 

Even 38 super will make major around 7.4-7.6. I know in my open 38 supers 7.8 would likely be 185pf+

51 minutes ago, BeerBaron said:

Even 38 super will make major around 7.4-7.6. I know in my open 38 supers 7.8 would likely be 185pf+

Agreed, 7.3gr under a 124 makes 177pf from my CZ

I was talking about HS-6 only. Most guys I know who use it in STI style guns are at 8+ grains. I was not talking about WAC or CFE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk