Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Primer Results?

rbuck

Does anyone have a picture of a 9mm major primer should look like after its fired? I have a little flatness to my primers but I'm at 8.3 grains of hs-6, OAL 1.155, 115 JHP V2s Everglades ammo. I'm shooting out of my brand new Trubor. I'm getting about 175 PF. Is this a sign of too high of pressure? My brass still fits into a case gauge after it's been fired so no bulging has occurred in the brass. 

Just now, kneelingatlas said:

That's pretty normal for 9 or 38, if you would feel better with A, switch to 3N38

Sweeeeeeet, once its starts looking like C, does that mean to back off?

Just now, kneelingatlas said:

If you're going to run that hot I suggest you switch to rifle primers, they should help you avoid pierced primers.

I don't want to run that hot. My friends say they run 8.9 HS-6 and get 175 PF. which is weird cause im getting 8.3 HS-6 at 175 PF. Is "B" picture okay though?

Just now, rbuck said:

I don't want to run that hot. My friends say they run 8.9 HS-6 and get 175 PF. which is weird cause im getting 8.3 HS-6 at 175 PF. Is "B" picture okay though?

There are plenty of Open shooters running tens of thousands of rounds which look like B.  My SP2 (similar to 3N38) look more like A.

1 minute ago, kneelingatlas said:

There are plenty of Open shooters running tens of thousands of rounds which look like B.  My SP2 (similar to 3N38) look more like A.

Ill have to look into 3n38. Is it a fast burn or slow burn powder?

1 minute ago, kneelingatlas said:

by the way, thank you for helping out!

16 hours ago, rbuck said:

I would say for piece of mind; move to small rifle primers. I am at 8.3 of HS-6 and it my cases look like A. 

Agreed, SRPs will help...or try CCI SPP if you want to stick with small pistol. 

kneelingatlas posted a great pic of what you want, and what you don't want.  I'll pick up brass at matches and it isn't uncommon to find cases that look like "C" where you can't tell where the primer ends and the casehead begins, which is just downright scary. 

Anyway, HS-6 (a.k.a. ww540)  is a solid powder for 9mm major (and 38 super) and was used before 9mm major was prohibited (and then re-approved). It is a shotgun powder so there are variances lot to lot, and that coupled with your gun/barrel (which may run fast) may explain the charge weight difference.  IMO it is one of more forgiving 9mm major powders, but it would be worth checking out a slower powder if you want to experiment. 

22 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

Like I told you earlier, I would bet it is just the lot to lot variance. From the pictures you sent/posted they looked worse to me than B of those 3. My primers look like B.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

but while they are in the bras case they look like B. ill test more once i get more bullets. 

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:05 PM, rbuck said:

Does anyone have a picture of a 9mm major primer should look like after its fired? I have a little flatness to my primers but I'm at 8.3 grains of hs-6, OAL 1.155, 115 JHP V2s Everglades ammo. I'm shooting out of my brand new Trubor. I'm getting about 175 PF. Is this a sign of too high of pressure? My brass still fits into a case gauge after it's been fired so no bulging has occurred in the brass. 

If your fired brass fits in the case gauge, your case gauge is larger than your chamber which makes it worthless.  A good case gauge will be smaller than your chamber meaning anything that will fit the gauge will absolutely fit the chamber.

Just now, Ming the Merciless said:

If your fired brass fits in the case gauge, your case gauge is larger than your chamber which makes it worthless.  A good case gauge will be smaller than your chamber meaning anything that will fit the gauge will absolutely fit the chamber.

On 5/28/2017 at 9:02 PM, rbuck said:

Every barrel (even same manufacturer) can have different powder requirements to reach a given PF.    I would run your load OAL @ 1.168.  Less pressure and they should feed with no issues in a Trubor, but try before you load several hundred.  You might see a slight loss in FPS going to 1.168.  

I have barrel ports and load 115 JHP with 9.1 of HS6.  Others load 9.x grains also.  The load is very flat and very accurate, but you would not need 9 grains.  I load my cases many times with no issues.

I use SRP all the time.  3N38 (IMO) is a waste of money for 9 major.  HS 6 (for me) burns fairly clean and is fairly easy to find. It's kind of like putting 93 octane in a Honda.  Your just wasting your money as the engine is not tuned to run on 93 octane.

On 6/1/2017 at 9:08 AM, lcs said:

Every barrel (even same manufacturer) can have different powder requirements to reach a given PF.    I would run your load OAL @ 1.168.  Less pressure and they should feed with no issues in a Trubor, but try before you load several hundred.  You might see a slight loss in FPS going to 1.168.  

I have barrel ports and load 115 JHP with 9.1 of HS6.  Others load 9.x grains also.  The load is very flat and very accurate, but you would not need 9 grains.  I load my cases many times with no issues.

I use SRP all the time.  3N38 (IMO) is a waste of money for 9 major.  HS 6 (for me) burns fairly clean and is fairly easy to find. It's kind of like putting 93 octane in a Honda.  Your just wasting your money as the engine is not tuned to run on 93 octane.

Thank you! ill try that

On 5/28/2017 at 9:07 PM, rbuck said:

Ill have to look into 3n38. Is it a fast burn or slow burn powder?

You are shooting 9mm major,  I don't think you have enough case volume for 3n38, it is a slower powder.