Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Brass

rbuck

3 minutes ago, nbot said:

I shoot range brass as long as it's roll sized or sized through a push through die. 

I reload range brass as long as i know its been fired once. Is it okay to use Military Ammo? I've got a bunch, i just need to swage them

1 minute ago, Sandbagger123 said:

Brass is brass to me. i have some 9 major brass i must have loaded 10 times. i don't really find 9 major really does anything to the brass if its shot from a tight chamber 

Interesting, Like i said, i have a brand new Trubor. im wondering if i can reuse that brass. Seems to me that you take the chance and reload your major brass. 

Just now, rbuck said:

Interesting, Like i said, i have a brand new Trubor. im wondering if i can reuse that brass. Seems to me that you take the chance and reload your major brass. 

i have loaded and shot over 15k 9 mm major in the year and half i have been shooting it.  i use pickup brass all the time. unless you shot the brass yourself or see the guy take it out of the box and shoot it. how do you know its once fired?

1 minute ago, Sandbagger123 said:

i have loaded and shot over 15k 9 mm major in the year and half i have been shooting it.  i use pickup brass all the time. unless you shot the brass yourself or see the guy take it out of the box and shoot it. how do you know its once fired?

I stalk people who bring out brand new winchester ammo and locate where there brass lands and pick it up for them. then they tell me they dont need it and its mine. Why are people so scared of reloading 9mm major brass more than 2-3 times?

3 minutes ago, rbuck said:

I stalk people who bring out brand new winchester ammo and locate where there brass lands and pick it up for them. then they tell me they dont need it and its mine. Why are people so scared of reloading 9mm major brass more than 2-3 times?

no idea.  primers in my 173 pf loads look just like my 130pf minor loads.   just load them up with a good reciepe and shoot them 

2 hours ago, rbuck said:

where do they buy new brass from?

I know all a lot of people buy from starline but it's pretty pricey.  There's a guy I know who owns a company called fancey brass here in FL. It's once fired and prepped back to new condition. 

2 hours ago, rbuck said:

I reload range brass as long as i know its been fired once. Is it okay to use Military Ammo? I've got a bunch, i just need to swage them

I use military brass all the time.  Same process of prepping the brass and cleaning it.   As long as it doesn't have a shelf in the middle of the case.  Everything else is a go for me.

1 hour ago, rbuck said:

Why are people so scared of reloading 9mm major brass more than 2-3 times?

Not all 9 major is created equal, 9.4gr of 3N38 under a 115gr JHP @1.161" makes 170.5pf and comes right out of the Vihtavuori load manual, by comparison the max load for Winchester Autocomp under a 115 JHP makes just 133.5 pf; loading longer helps stretch it out, but the pressure is still higher at the same velocity.

Back to your question: I load with anything and everything (I've even loaded 9 major in aluminum cases) and the only case failures I've experienced have been stepped brass (FM, IMT, Ammoload).

Edited by kneelingatlas