Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mystery

konkapot

Factory STI 2011.

Removed factory fire control parts and replaced them with a Cylinder/Slide set. Hammer/trigger passes all safety function tests.

Factory single side thumb safety required very minor fitting, but is now fully functional.

Now the original grip safety will not let the "spur" of the thumb safety into it's corresponding hole. The spur will fit through the first hole (in the grip safety) and partially into the frame, but not out the other side of the frame. By "spur" I mean the bar part of the thumb safety that fits into the holes on the frame and thumb safety.

When the grip safety is off the gun (and out of the equation) the thumb safety fits into the holes just fine.

I tried a different grip safety and still have the same issue.

Discuss.

Sounds like grip safety may be touching hammer strut?

try assembling without the mainspring housing on (do that last) 

also make sure the strut hasn't fallen in to the grip area. 

Or maybe hammer spur touching grip safety?

Edited by BeerBaron

I've had interference on the hammer strut a few times when swapping parts over; some of the different grip safeties have smaller channels than others.

Combined with perhaps a slightly different location of the strut pin hole on your new hammer could cause issues.

That's about the only thing I've come up with if the grip safety and thumb safety were working before. How tight of a fit is the shaft of the thumb safety in the frame holes?

Beer baron that does not appear to be the case.

White Dingo-The thumb safety shaft is fine when it is only inserted into the frame, or only inserted into the grip safety........when the its inserted through both (like when assembling the weapon) that the spur does not go all the way through. Appears to be getting hung up on the holes on the right side of the gun.

The hammer and hammer spur do not appear to have any impact on this issue.

What about taking some fine sandpaper to the thumb safety spur?

It almost sounds like there's interference between the grip safety and frame when trying to insert the thumb safety.  If the grip safety isn't coming forward enough, or if the shaft on the new thumb safety is slightly larger in diameter than the old one, then you could run into issues. Especially if the grip safety was fitted tightly with the factory part. Is there a diameter difference between the two "spurs"?

If you're sure there's no interference between the frame and the grip safety (check the radiused areas on both parts), I would perhaps try reaming the grip safety hole before I tried sanding down the safety shaft down concentric. Probably would only take .002" or so to clear up any alignment issue.

On 5/28/2017 at 6:59 PM, konkapot said:

Factory STI 2011.

Removed factory fire control parts and replaced them with a Cylinder/Slide set. Hammer/trigger passes all safety function tests.

Factory single side thumb safety required very minor fitting, but is now fully functional.

Now the original grip safety will not let the "spur" of the thumb safety into it's corresponding hole. The spur will fit through the first hole (in the grip safety) and partially into the frame, but not out the other side of the frame. By "spur" I mean the bar part of the thumb safety that fits into the holes on the frame and thumb safety.

When the grip safety is off the gun (and out of the equation) the thumb safety fits into the holes just fine.

I tried a different grip safety and still have the same issue.

Discuss.

I just reread the original post.

You are having trouble installing the original thumb safety, correct.

I know this may be a dumb question but, is the hammer cocked?

My hammer must be cocked to fully install the thumb safety.

just trying to think this through

so the only new parts are the sear, hammer and disconnector, sear spring and mainspring. probably not a mainspring problem, unlikely that the sear spring is interfering as it's too short to hit the thumb safety 

since you demonstrate the problem with no slide, fwe can probably eliminate the role of the disconnector

you feel confident that the hammer strut is not interfering with the grip safety channel

and you also haven't changed the grip safety and msh..so their relationship should not have changed.

would check to see if the width of the new sear is the same as the old...any chance its rubbing on either the thumb safety strut (or less likely certainly the grip safety).

so next....and you probably checked this already.... but with only the sear, complete msh, sear spring in the frame..... will the thumb safety fit all the way in and cycle appropriately?

now add the hammer and strut to above mix...does the thumb safety still fit/function/rotate appropriately?

Edited by wanttolearn

Finally figured it out with the help of a gunsmith.

The hammer, a Cylinder/Slide "warp speed" hammer, has more material on it than the factory STI hammer. The grip safety, therefore, was designed for an STI hammer. The cylinder/slide hammer was bigger in this one external dimension.