Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI New style mags!

Rolex

Someone posted a question about the new mags from STI- a few days ago-

I just received two of these new ones-170mm- and although I did not use

them just yet ill tell you this- there is NO spacers in the new style 9mm mags.

Also there are witness holes at 5,10,15.20 and 26 rounds- both do hold 26 and can

be inserted into the gun- and lock in..

20170527_152526.jpg

20170528_083324.jpg

Edited by Rolex
photos

Dawson base pad and Gram's Engineering spring and follower are my go-to combo for the old STI mags.  Probably be a good place to start with the new ones. 

Definitely check with a mag gauge or 8" digital caliper for overall length after installing the base pad.    Shooting for no score might be fun but leaves you with that empty feeling when you see your results.   ;)

BUT- the new STI mags have no spacers! All the spring/followers I see so far are made for STI tubes with spacers!

On Grams web page he does show a set up that says use with out spacers- but again this new tube is made with

different indentations- I sent an email asking Grams if that setup will fit the new tubes-  

20170527_152330.jpg

Edited by Rolex

Hello: I would try the Dawson followers and ISMI springs cut to fit the Dawson followers. Another option is the TTI spring and follower setup. I could do without the witness holes since it is more places to allow dirt in. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

Hello: The TTI spring and follower should fit fine. Get the one for 38 S/SC and the 13 coil spring. I am not sure how many rounds you will get in there but I would think 29 maybe 30 with the right base pad. I don't have one to try out here and play with yet. I am still using old STI's with spacers and old SVI's for my 9mm. Thanks, Eric

12 hours ago, wgj3 said:

Would definitely go with the 38 follower. Any of the designs that work in SV tubes should work. Maybe even try the MBX followers.

I already tried the MBX spring/follower.

Won't fit. The follower will not go all the way up in the tube.

It stops about 1 inch from the top.

You have to use the grams 38/40 followers in the new 9mm STI mags. The slide lock will not work, you must grind off the slide lock tab on the follower and count your rounds while shooting. 

Yes buy the grams 38 follower and 13coil spring. That should get you to 28. A new pad might get you 29. 

Yes sometimes you need to file the sides of new followers to get them to slide all the way to the top. 

The mbx spring and follower will likely work fine after you fit/tune it to the tube. 

UPDATE- with the Grams 13 coil spring and the stock STI base plate- 28 rounds and it locks into the gun!!

To bad the PO In Jax Fl cant deliver all my mail at once!

Order was shipped in two priority boxes- both picked up and arrived in Jax PO at same time- 

springs shipped to my local PO- the TTi base pads have not been shipped to me?  Not the

first time- last week package went to Pensacola FL- sat there for two days!Then came to me-

LOL

Yup they both work- the G4 i think it was called- just makes the gauge- one was very tight- MBX holds 29 also-

But had these two for free- so I had to do something to them!