Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo getting hung up in Bladetech

LeviSS

I keep having trouble with my Tanfo Limited snagging in my Bladetech holster on a Boss hanger.

From what I can tell, the trigger guard is sharp and gets hung up in the corresponding area in the holster.  After several draws, there will be kydex scrapings in the corner of the trigger guard.  I clean it and it will be fine for a while, but then will hang up again.  The holster flexes some, which seems to compound the problem by binding it.

I've tried about every combination of tension with the holster screws...it can be made better, but not eliminated.

Anyone else have trouble with this?

I'm considering a RHT double layer holster because I've read they are very rigid.  I don't really want to go to a race holster.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I experienced the same thing and had a friend next door who used to work there adjust it.  While improved it still would scrape and bind but eventually chewed it's way into a better fit.

I have since moved on to a RHT and while it still had some break in by the Tanfo's sharp edges the fit is much better.  I still see shavings but have zero issues with binding. 

1 hour ago, NWfront said:

I experienced the same thing and had a friend next door who used to work there adjust it.  While improved it still would scrape and bind but eventually chewed it's way into a better fit.

I have since moved on to a RHT and while it still had some break in by the Tanfo's sharp edges the fit is much better.  I still see shavings but have zero issues with binding. 

I've had to dremel the RHT double layer competition holster a good amount to get it satisfactory. Also had to modify the BOSS holster to work correctly and have the holster sit on my thigh straight up and down as it was pointing towards my body on the draw. I definitely like the holster, but its tough to get it perfect. 

My blade-tech bound horribly unless your draw was perfectly vertical. This was at the trigger guard area. I also had to take a heat gun to the bottom around the muzzle in order to get the gun to fit in the first place.

My Red Hill Tactical is indeed may times more rigid and fit perfectly. Draws are always glass smooth and fit is top notch.

This is the most frustrating thing with tanfo....inconsistency. Mine took a little bit of dry fire to break in the bladetech holster but works good now. My backup gun is a tighter fit.

Although I haven't tried it yet, I may have found the solution.

I, too, was having the same problem as the rest of you. With the Blade Tech tension screws snugged down to where I was confident that the holster was holding the gun It would snag, ever so slightly, on the draw. With the tension screws loosened to where the snag went away I had no confidence in the holsters ability to retain the gun, safely.

So......while perusing Ben Stoeger's Pro Shop website I found pistol bungees for sale. They're small bungee cords with a ball on the end. You loop the thing through your holster mount and then grab the little ball with your fingers and pull it over the top of the pistol grip. It holds the gun firmly in the holster without using the tension screws at all, and should be great for walking from stage to stage, worry free.

Edited by MikieM

• 3 weeks later...

My Stock II doesn't hang at all in my Bladetech. 

Loosen the tension screws. They're only there to hold the holster together. I have mine (the stainless knobs are just for bling) only loose enough where they won't fall out. 

After all, you don't run through a stage with the gun in the holster. It's in your hand (or, hands). 

And, it won't fall out while you're walking. 

I keep my guns clicked in tight enough I can run without it shifting even slightly, much less think about falling out. They retain with a positive click. The draw isn't any slower on a timer either way. I tested it.

The RHT body give you a cleaner release and draw with this tension than my blade ltech did when set really really loose.

The bladetech bound up like a mother.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

My Blade Tech is the same, I had to dremel the top of it to make it clear the mag release and ambi safety lever, and it drags on the slide.  Ordered a RHT already, BT will go in the trash when it arrives.