Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide locked in the frame on a Lim Pro

V2plus25

You don't have to rack the slide everytime. Small powder charge, wet/damp powder, all may make thr bullet travel part way down the barrel, enough for another round to chamber...and may work the slide enough to chamber another bullet.

No I never had to rack the slide except when inserting a new magazine in order to chamber a round.

The slide ended up not locking back on an empty mag after doing so for a while, but that was most likely due to my overzealous filing on the slide stop in order to get it to auto-forward when I stuff in a fresh mag.  Oops :)

Well got it apart finally.  Thanks kneelingatlas for the pointer on dremeling the slide stop.

It appears the OD of the barrel end has been expanded a slight bit.  Enough to make it difficult to push the barrel down enough in order to pull it out of the slide.  I'm sure more hammering will probably free it eventually.

I guess there was either a squib with another round behind it or I actually had a faulty barrel that finally decided to give up the ghost.  I never heard a squib and always check my rounds for powder before seating the bullet, but maybe just this once (out of 20000+ rounds) one snuck by.  Of course I'm on a Dillon 550, so when there is any hiccup it is really easy to determine what's going on with each round, but I'm sure there is a perfect storm of distractions where a non-charged round would make it's way to bullet seating.

So any ideas where to pick up a new barrel besides EAA?  They've got a new one for $191.  And do you guys think I need a new slide as well?  Those are $353! 

IMG_6844.JPG

IMG_6847.JPG

IMG_6848.JPG

4 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Yep. Get a new barrel. As for the squib, I seriously doubt that there was no powder in the case. It was either a very small charge or damp/bad powder. Damp/bad powder would leave evidence. 

Well I was at the very end of a bottle of Hornady One-Shot case lube and it was spraying a stream a lot more than the usual misting.  There very well could have been a puddle of lube in a case that I then dropped powder on top of.  :o

4 hours ago, V2plus25 said:

Well I was at the very end of a bottle of Hornady One-Shot case lube and it was spraying a stream a lot more than the usual misting.  There very well could have been a puddle of lube in a case that I then dropped powder on top of.  :o

Next time... don't do dat !

I lube the cases several hours to several days before reloading.  Hard lesson, and thanks for reinforcing it.

40 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

Or, make your own case lube (lanolin and alcohol), spray in ziplock bag, add brass, zip shut, shake, pour brass out, load almost immediately.

Actually, i use 2oz lanoline in 30 oz alcohol. Spritz them in a big amazon box, shake, spritz again.  I'm still cautious about getting the powder or primers fouled.  i usually have a couple thousand on hand, so hardly ever in a hurry.

6 hours ago, V2plus25 said:

Don't spray cases directly.

Spray the inside of a ziplock bag or Tupperware (what I use) and dump brass in then, then roll it around in the lube.

It cannot puddle inside of the cases this way, and won't cause squibs if you immediately load after spraying.

Edited by MemphisMechanic