Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Build Parts List

rootacres

I am taking the plunge and starting a 2011 build (Limited .40 cal), the idea is that this will be my uspsa piece for the tail end of this year/beginning of next. So I am starting with a lower and have a CK arms LDC wide body on its way with an STI variant grip. What lower parts should I take a peak at? Beavertail, sear, disco, hammer etc etc? A SVI trigger is probably a lock but the rest I am open to options. Thank you in advance 

Edited by rootacres

I'm using mostly EGW parts these days.  That includes grip and thumb safeties, fire control group, etc.  Non EGW parts are AFTEC extractor, Wolff springs, SV trigger, Dawson front sight and mag well, and BoMar/Kensight rear for adjustable and Heinie for fixed.

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

I'm using mostly EGW parts these days.  That includes grip and thumb safeties, fire control group, etc.  Non EGW parts are AFTEC extractor, Wolff springs, SV trigger, Dawson front sight and mag well, and BoMar/Kensight rear for adjustable and Heinie for fixed.

Sounds like a good build to me.

Hello: EGW fire control parts, Ed Brown safeties, Wilson extended slide stop with tang cut off, Dawson mag release, Eddie Garcia magwell, ISMI springs, Dawson firing pin, Caspian slide, Dawson sights, Aftec for 9mm and Caspian for 40 extractors, Ed Brown hammer strut, EGW gunsmith bushing if bushing barrel, Kart or Schuemnn barrel and a moded firing pin stop. Not sure if it is an open pistol or limited? Open add C-More 6 MOA with mount you like. Thanks, Eric

15 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

14 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: EGW fire control parts, Ed Brown safeties, Wilson extended slide stop with tang cut off, Dawson mag release, Eddie Garcia magwell, ISMI springs, Dawson firing pin, Caspian slide, Dawson sights, Aftec for 9mm and Caspian for 40 extractors, Ed Brown hammer strut, EGW gunsmith bushing if bushing barrel, Kart or Schuemnn barrel and a moded firing pin stop. Not sure if it is an open pistol or limited? Open add C-More 6 MOA with mount you like. Thanks, Eric

How much gun smithing was required for your EGW trigger kit. I am looking at their hammer, sear, disco setup. Also any experience with ed brown trigger group parts?

Edited by rootacres

EGW ignition kit #10211. It is pretty much a drop in ready kit. Yes, you could fine tune it more later but it is probably the best drop it ignition parts available. They also have excellent pin kits, slide stops, thumb safeties, ejectors, extractor, etc. Their EGW/JEM #10731Beavertail is excellent too. It probably requires the least blending I have seen with a 1911/2011 frame.

They are having a 10% off sale this weekend too with the code "HONOR". They also sponsor a ton of matches so it is always nice to support the companies that support our shooting community.

1 hour ago, rootacres said:

How much gun smithing was required for your EGW trigger kit. I am looking at their hammer, sear, disco setup. Also any experience with ed brown trigger group parts?

I don't have any experience with the Ed Brown parts but I will say I did stone the EGW hammer and set the hook length. I set the primary angle and you will have to cut the secondary angle as well. If you are not set up to do this work, check out the brazos trigger group set. 

I like ltdmstr, suggestion, except I use ISMI springs all around (except for the Colt sear spring).  You definitely want to use the JEM Grip Safety (Egw makes it for them) and the JEM MSH to replace the plastic piece of crap on the STI grip.  I also prefer the Warren Tactical fixed rear sight.

Stay away from Ed Brown parts unless you want to do a lot of fitting. 

As said above EGW is pretty much the way to go for the ignition parts. I like the ed brown GS and Wilson high ride thumb safety. Slide stop egw also makes a good one. 

I am taking the plunge and starting a 2011 build (Limited .40 cal), the idea is that this will be my uspsa piece for the tail end of this year/beginning of next. So I am starting with a lower and have a CK arms LDC wide body on its way with an STI variant grip. What lower parts should I take a peak at? Beavertail, sear, disco, hammer etc etc? A SVI trigger is probably a lock but the rest I am open to options. Thank you in advance 

Try the extreme enginnering hammer set

I would avoid Ed Brown parts in general.  For their grip safeties, they changed the design and are not cut as high as they used to be.  So blending them to a 2011 frame requires removing a LOT of material.  The EGW/JEM grip safety is close to perfect out of the box.  Ed Brown also changed their hammers so now instead of a narrowed half cock notch, it is the full width of the hammer.  So now if your hammer falls to half cock, it beats up the sear.  When I asked them about the changes at the SHOT Show, no one in their booth was willing/able to explain why.  Their thumb safeties are cast and prone to breakage.  EGWs are machined from stock.  I could go on.

Just to be clear, the grip safety that fits STIs almost perfectly is the EGW/JEM GS.  If you buy the standard EGW GS, you will be removing LOTS of material to blend.

18 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

I would avoid Ed Brown parts in general.  For their grip safeties, they changed the design and are not cut as high as they used to be.  So blending them to a 2011 frame requires removing a LOT of material.  The EGW/JEM grip safety is close to perfect out of the box.  Ed Brown also changed their hammers so now instead of a narrowed half cock notch, it is the full width of the hammer.  So now if your hammer falls to half cock, it beats up the sear.  When I asked them about the changes at the SHOT Show, no one in their booth was willing/able to explain why.  Their thumb safeties are cast and prone to breakage.  EGWs are machined from stock.  I could go on.

Their machined ambi safety is still nice, but I agree the other parts have changed for the worse.

I prefer EGW parts for the internals.  I ordered Ed Brown machined ambi safety and slide stop from Brownells for my back up gun as they were on sale; quality looks good.  If you have a gorilla grip like me and break ambi's, you need machined ones.  Broke a Wilson ambi after about 15000 rounds...As for barrels, I think the fit is more important than the barrel itself for accuracy.  Bar Stos are very nice out of the package.  But then I had a Brazos gun with an STI barrel and it was the most accurate Limited gun I've had so far.   

SVI:

QBX Hammer

Disconnector

Sear

Trigger

STI:

Grip safety

EGW:

Titanium main spring cap

Titanium Hammer strut

Misc:

Wilson Bulletproof slide stop

AFTEC Extractor

Tuned Clark 4 finger Leaf spring

Wolf #17 main spring

This is really helpful as i am in the process of building a 2011 as well.  Has anyone had any experience with the Brazos trigger kits as well, i have been looking at that and a Brazos slide.

K

• 4 weeks later...

The Brazos slide is a great deal considering that it has the lightening and sight cuts, as well as the cocking serrations.  Love it.  I'd definitely consider his drop in trigger if I weren't having a smith do a trigger job.  For this build I wanted EGW internals.  If I didn't love PCC so much I'd get a Brazos slide for my Open gun too.  Here's my new backup gun, still naked and in the white

new build.jpg