Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock II Dropping to Half-Cock......

MikieM

My Stock II, that we have discussed in an other thread, is doing something now that doesn't seem right.

When the gun is cocked (as it would be in SA mode), and I pull the trigger hard (with the safety on), the hammer drops to half-cock when I thumb the safety off.

What could be the problem? (Bear in mind there is no trigger stop.)

And, while I'm thinking on it, the trigger pull is now 1 pound 15 ounces. After the trigger job it was 2 pounds 8 ounces. Is this also normal?

Thanks, Mike

Edited by MikieM

Mike I think you may have a damaged sear. You should not be pulling the trigger hard with the safety engaged.

Suggest you get a gunsmith to have a look

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

My money is on an overly-enthusaiastic fitting of the safety and sear.

I tend to agree with you. I just hate to admit it.

I guess this is as good a time as any to go to a single-sided safety. 

1 piece sear? titan hammer? 

If so, the under cut needed to "fit" the sear may be at too sharp of an angle and it is pushing the safety and rotating the lever slightly.

It can also be due to the slide being racked with the safety on.  That damages the safety cage, warping it.  Look at the ejector from the side as you pull the trigger hard (hammer back, safety on).  If the ejector goes up,  your sear cage may indeed be warped.  

A new sear cage assembly is probably needed, maybe just the sear.

7 minutes ago, johnbu said:

1 piece sear? titan hammer? 

If so, the under cut needed to "fit" the sear may be at too sharp of an angle and it is pushing the safety and rotating the lever slightly.

It can also be due to the slide being racked with the safety on.  That damages the safety cage, warping it.  Look at the ejector from the side as you pull the trigger hard (hammer back, safety on).  If the ejector goes up,  your sear cage may indeed be warped.  

A new sear cage assembly is probably needed, maybe just the sear.

Yes, both I piece and Titan.

If by undercut you mean removing metal from the sear to accommodate the safety, I did it the other way. I ground the lug on the safety lever to fit under the sear hook. Like Memphis said, I think I took a tad too much off, but I will double check the sear housing just to make sure.

22 minutes ago, PatriotDefense said:

With those numbers your claiming in the SA pull I would check the sear and or hammer hooks for wear. That's a lot of weight shaved from the SA pull.......

I agree, but the parts are only a couple of weeks old.

3 hours ago, PatriotDefense said:

Doesn't mean they're perfect, they could have been defected from the factory.......

I'll take a look at the sear and hammer hooks when I fit up the new safety. I assume I'll be looking for abnormalities, right? Such as rounded edges, etc.?