Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38/200 duplicate for revolver minor

Makicjf

Howdy,

Before I waste my time attempting a 200 pointy bullet .358 bullet at 640 fps, is there a reason people don't use them?  I'm thinking that if they will stay stable to fifty yards, the bullet length outside the Short Colt case will shorten the freebore  distance to the throats and should be fairly accurate.  Even going slow, the 200 should smack steel pretty hard and the recoil will be as soft as the British Gentlemans hands the round was created to protect.  Moreover, if a 38 break top Webley can take the pressure, a modern 357 will never even know it was fired.  I do not know the case capacity of the 38 S&W vis a viz the 38 SC, so that may be a factor.  But loading long, and sneaking up on PF with Chrony overwatch and inspecting cases for pressure could easily negate any case capacity difference.     Seems like a win if it can be accurate and stable to fifity yards: super soft recoil, short cases for reloads, less free bore to improve accuracy and what should be ( unless case capacity is hugely different) a low pressure round.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Jason

I do not think there is really anything to be gained using a bullet weight over 160 grain in a revolver.

Your cost per round is going to increase over using a 160 grain or lighter bullet, which I doubt would be offset by using less powder.

I'd also be concerned with a bullet moving that slow would be more prone to "bounce" off steel rather than shatter. I believe in steel challenge they recommend all bullets to go at least 800-850 FPS for this very reason. 

And i'm sure you'd have a hell of a time getting a 200 grain bullet squeezed into a short colt case and not be way over pressure. 

Edited by alecmc

Thanks for the thoughts.  Between my job and shooting I'm having some issues with arthritis, stiffness and significant swelling in my right hand.  The idea of not shooting a revolver makes me really sad, so I'm looking for the softest possible safe load that meets the regulatuions. I've seen Cowboy 38's doing 650 bounce back to the firing line and only be half mashed... not fun.  I had forgotten about that.  A 38-200 duplicate would not be a safe load!

thanks,

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

Most like a bit more velocity, quicker pings on the steel and less drop at 50 yards.  But cost is a big factor.

With SC stick with a 160 or less.  They are the most accurate and economical.

38 and 357 cases have such volume that if you point the gun up then level it to chrono and the point it down and level it to chrono you might find over 200 fps diff with normal pistol powders.  That's so much it becomes a deal breaker.

Probably for he same reason nobody uses the 178rgr bullet either, where you gonna get em? :D  In bulk and cheap that is. (talking the MkII bullet of course, not jus some run of the mill 180gr .357") ;) 

Edited by cas

I ran a 200gr bullet in my 625 for a while, it was soft shooting but not noticeably different than a 151 gr at the same PF in my 929.  I don't think the effort would be worth it, you might be better off with a longer barreled gun or some added weight.  Are you running Big Butt grips?

i am not, but have wondered if they would be worth while.  I was thinking about the rubber that covers the back strap. I'd prefer a little more distance from the trigger.  I was wondering if they would provide a more consistent index during a reload as well. I come out of the holster pretty consistent, but struggle to get a square grip on reloads

Thanks

Jason

I've played with the 38/200 load for Webleys----bullets are hard to find and expensive, and the factory profile ran from full

radius round nose to kind of blunt.  My goal was to get a load that shot to the Webley sights---didn't feel any different than

a lighter bullet load.

If someone made a 200gr 38 bullet in the same long pointy hollowbase design as the 455 Webley 265 gr bullet that could be interesting.

On 6/4/2017 at 6:09 AM, Makicjf said:

i am not, but have wondered if they would be worth while.  I was thinking about the rubber that covers the back strap. I'd prefer a little more distance from the trigger.  I was wondering if they would provide a more consistent index during a reload as well. I come out of the holster pretty consistent, but struggle to get a square grip on reloads

Thanks

Jason

I run the X-Frame rubber grips on my 627.  The extra reach to the trigger suits my hand.  I also run them on my 625 when I need to make major and the rubber covered backstrap really eats up the felt recoil.

I have large hands with long fingers and also run the X frame Hogue's. They are the best I have found for me as they really fit my hands. I have them on most of my S&W revolvers(610/617/625/627/929) so I have the same feel regardless of the gun I am shooting.