Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope mounts for AR-15 ?

Coming close to buying a MTAC 1-4x for my newly ordered

AR-15 in .223.

Same company has PEPR mount for $80 - 100 ...

(Not sure what the difference is between the two).

Q.1  Has PEPR stood up to the rigors of 3-gun on YOUR AR?

Q.2  Do you need a mount for AR - can't you just use rings and

clamp the rings to the gun?  What's the advantage of

using the mount with the rings?

Excuse the basic questions, but I'm NOT familiar with AR's.

Thanks,

Jack

Most people use mounts vs rings so the scope can be extended further forward.  Scope position will depend on how you mount the weapon, length of stock and also amount of eye relief in your particular scope.  I like and use Aero Precision mounts but a lot of that is because I've got a side charge upper and you really don't want any protrusions to interfere with operating the action.

Jack, if you have access to other folks with AR's, I'd strongly recommend trying theirs out first with their various scope and mount lengths before investing in anything.  I don't think you'd even need to shoot the guns-- just look through them from various shooting positions (ie, standing, kneeling, and prone) at various magnification levels as the eye relief/cheek weld relationship tends to change as the positions and magnifications change, so you're looking for a happy medium that will cover all shooting scenarios-- at the very least analyze them between offhand and prone.  Also bear in mind that different mounts have slightly varying heights in addition to the forward lengths, and how far forward/rearward you can mount the scope will be affected by where the turrets are mounted and how that relationship interferes with the fixed rings on the mount.  Pesonally, I like Warne mounts because they sit a smidge lower than many others giving a tighter cheek weld, and the span between the two rings gives you a good range of back and forth movement with regard to the turret/ring relationship.  The next time I buy a mount, it will definitely be a Warne X-SKEL.  I should have one right now (versus my RAMP) but I just haven't been sufficiently compeled to spend the money and take the time to re-mount and sight in, etc., given the amount of shooting I do anymore with the AR, which isn't much.  The RAMP works okay for me, but my farsightedness has grown worse over the years and I think having a little more forward room for adjustment would be a good thing.  Hope that helps somewhat, J

28 minutes ago, The Donald said:

For a reasonable, solid, light weight mount check out the Aero Precision mount. Granitite Oufitters has them at 25% off right now.

+1 for Aero.  

Aero_Mount.jpg

Full disclosure: I shoot for Burris and have used PEPR mounts with all my Burris scopes.

Full Disclosure: I have used the PEPR mounts since the TAC 30 was introduced (how many years now???)

Full disclosure: The PEPR's wouldn't still be in use by me if they didn't work (I like to do as well as I can at matches)B)

Full disclosure: The difference in price range is the difference between the traditional mounting nut version and the Burris QD version; I have both and both have been fine.

ericm

They make both a 1" and 30mm PEPR version; I have only used the 30mm version since all my old 1" Burris scopes (I used them way before 3 gun) are mounted in "old" mounts on "old" guns:ph34r:

(They still work too)

ericm

I read, recently, that there is some controversy over whether

you should use a 30 mm or 1" PEPR for the Burris MTAC.

I've ordered the 30 mm - hope it's the right one - guess it won't

work very well is the tube is 1" ???

My MTAC uses the 30 mm PEPR.   Originally I tried just a set of scope rings but found I really needed to move the scope forward a bit.  The PEPR mounts were just right.

I have a total of 4 PEPR mounts and none have failed me.  Some have seen rough use (aggressive barrel placement).

The most recent one has the lever release.  Its used on a PCC that I may decide to switch back and forth between an MTAC and a C-more Railway.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Burris PEPR, and a Warne SKEL. Both have stood up to a ton of abuse.

My only complaint, is I like the mount knobs on the ejection port side, as to not catch them while charging the rifle on unloaded starts. The PEPR has large knobs on the left side, and have been intrusive on more than one occasion.

With that said, I only plan on running Warnes from here on out.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Pepr. Nothing wrong with it but it was a bit heavy and clunky.

Replaced it with an Aero, which is much much lighter, slimmer, and has no nuts or stuff sticking out. I like it a lot more. Not much more money.

I paid less than 70$ when I caught one on sale.

44 minutes ago, NoKimberDave said:

I had a Pepr. Nothing wrong with it but it was a bit heavy and clunky.

Replaced it with an Aero, which is much much lighter, slimmer, and has no nuts or stuff sticking out. I like it a lot more. Not much more money.

I paid less than 70$ when I caught one on sale.

Dave - The Aero looks good for the money.  Do you feel like the three Torx screws are secure enough for the rail mount?

Just now, Tampaxd45 said:

Dave - The Aero looks good for the money.  Do you feel like the three Torx screws are secure enough for the rail mount?

Yes. Especially considering the previous Pepr mount had only two screws, and it was very solid.

I've had two different scopes in 2 years and it has never moved on either scope. 

• 3 months later...

I’ve had (and actually still have) a pile of scope mounts.  LaRue, American Defense, Aadland, Warne, Burris, ZRODelta, Bobro...  They all work, it’s largely preference of features/design vs cost, etc.  Along with getting proper eye relief, I like that I don’t feel I need to worry about lapping or “truing” the rings.  I’ve heard several people say they don’t like vertical split rings like LaRue and American Defense, but mine have been rock solid.

Personally, I like the design of ZRODelta the best, but it is also big $$.  It has more lugs on the base to engage the rail (I think the surface area has to be a bonus), and a spring-loaded clamp that can be either hand-tightened to be like a quick-release, or torqued to spec to be more permanent, and it really does seem to return to zero when re-mounted.

That said, properly torqued I’ve never had a scope lose zero.  The Burris is probably the most “clunky” looking and heavy (ounces, not a big deal) but works, and is probably the least $$, followed by Aero (one of the few I’ve never used, by chance more than taste, will likely be my next mount).

Since getting into 3-gun I’ve shifted to buying more based on who supports our sport, and here in the Pacific Northwest, at least, Warne and Aero Precision are huge supporters, if that means anything to you.  Other regions probably get more support from others listed above, but I haven’t traveled much to shoot, I can only report what I see.

Make sure you torque to spec, & spec can change from mount to mount.

• 1 year later...

Good thing I came across this forum to learn more about AR 15 mounts. I have been looking for a solid scope mount for my AR15 and I need good feedback before getting one.

I read a good review for scope mounts for AR15 here and I am considering the Nikon P-Series one. My friend told me it was excellent and I like the aesthetic looks of it. What do you guys think? Any suggestion would be great.

I've used the Burris PEPR and the Aero mount, but the only mount that I think I've put through enough abuse to speak to long-term durability is the Warne X-Skel that I'm currently using. I'm in no way affiliated with them, but I do want to give credit where credit is due.

This is the third year that I've been using the same mount and optic combination. I took my rifle out to the range to verify its zero before the first big match of this season, and it was dead on without any adjustments. That's pretty solid.

What's even more solid is when I tripped on a root while running at a full sprint across a creek bed on the first day of the Vortex Shooters Source match this year and chucked my rifle a foot or so into a mud puddle on the far bank... then was still making first-round hits on 500 yard steel over the next couple of days without touching the optic or mount. The only issue from that whole debacle is that I wasn't able to give my rifle the thorough cleaning that it needed right afterwards, so the mounting screws have started to rust. I sent Warne customer service an email, and I had a new set of hardware in my mailbox in a couple of days.

• 2 weeks later...