Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie Questions

SlvrDragon50

Hi!

Just set up a Hornady LNL. I have a couple of questions

1: What should I use to lube new dies? They are Hornady 9mm New Dimensions dies

2: If I clean my brass ahead of time, should I apply case lube for storage? Or just leave them dry until I'm about to reload?

If you are going to store your brass after cleaning, leave it dry and lube prior to loading.  After loading it's a good idea to tumble in corncob or walnut for 10 or 15 minutes to remove the case lube prior to shooting.

1.  No reason to lube the dies - just lube the brass before you reload
2.  I store my clean brass in plastic containers, airtight - seems to work.   [emoji4] 

Oh dang really? All the Hornady videos say to disassemble the factory rust preventative oil with degreaser. But the forum posts I've been reading are saying lube causes a lot of stuck case issues so I have been unsure what works.

I've been storing my brass in MTM plastic anmo cans. Good to hear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need to lube the brass for the sizing step unless you want to. The titanium nitride coating on the sizing die makes the use of lube unnecessary.

You can lube them if you want to. It will make sizing easier. Hornady One Shot works well. 

I think Hornady is saying to remove the oil that comes on the dies from the factory - that would only be once when you receive them.

Lubing the cases for loading is done in the loading process, depending on what lubrication is used, it may dry on it's own and be usable as is or need to be removed if the type that will stay wet and sticky.

Edited by Steve RA

As Steve RA said, you only have to clean the press, dies and powder measure once initially to get the rust preventative off of it. I used a clean, lint free rag and rubbing alcohol and cleaned my entire press, dies and powder measure (NOT the plastic tube!). I then lubed the appropriate press parts and assembled. I did not lube my dies. As others said, you can lube your cases before loading but make sure they dry thoroughly first before loading, but it isn't necessary with those Hornady dies. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I clean my brass, store in those plastic shoebox type boxes from Walmart. I hit the cases with one-shot lube before loading. Spray some in the box, stir around, spray some more, stir around. I know everybody says you don't need to lube pistol cases with carbide dies but I think the press just runs smoother with a little lube on them.