Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Revolver Optics Division

NoSteel

USPSA Revolver Optics Division  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes as I shoot open in ICORE and then I use the same revolver and am forced to shoot open in USPSA. I have managed to actually get a B classification in open. But it would be nice to be able to actually shoot against other open revolvers in USPSA. I voted yes.

1 hour ago, JohnRodriguez said:

all they have to do is change CO to include revolvers, since it only allows  semi-autos only

Yea, because that's different than shooting a revolver in open, how?

140mm mags in CO hold 22/23 rds versus 8 max in revolver. Hardly any different than just shooting your optic revolver in open class.

It won't add many shooters.  It is the same fallacious reasoning that brought about allowing 8 shots.  Not that many are going to go out and spend the money to buy the equipment to shoot the division.  If they already have the gun, they probably will shoot the division/but they are probably already shooting revolver

Better to divide revolver into 8 and six.  You may get some people back (625s who didn't/couldn't sell them) and pick up some casual revolver shooters

Edited by underlug
incomplete

I talked to a lot of people about this last year, club level shooters up to those who run USPSA and Steel Challenge.  The consensus was that we do not have enough iron sight revolver shooters to get recognition as is.  Adding a second revolver division would have negative side effects for a lot of reasons.  At Steel Challenge you see a lot of guys shooting both revolver divisions so it works well, in USPSA you can only shoot one for most matches.

10 hours ago, Kurusty said:

I'd rather have the option of shooting major in 8 shot

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Except that it wouldn't change anything, since everybody would be forced to shoot this "optional " major PF to stay competitive. We'd all be then shooting major. Might as well leave it at minor since that's what we are all shooting anyway and save on powder and recoil.

For USPSA I usually have to compare my scores to single stack. Accuracy isn't as important as it is in ICORE and 90% of SS is major. I wouldn't really care if they let us shoot in SS if we are allowed to shoot major.

Another opinion, I suppose some would say a "red dot" would give you an advantage? My eyesight wants/needs the "red dot" versus the open sight (even with the fiber optic version). USPSA likes their "rules" which are supposed to level the field???. In ICORE I must shoot "open" because of the "dot". There are many more USPSA match's in my area than ICORE match's that I don't shoot because I'd be in the "open" class...... Remove the "red dot" ban and you would see many more revolver's at a USPSA match...... IF there is an advantage the "Boys" would soon have "red dots" on their revo's.....AND you will see more revolver shooter's in USPSA. HA!!!! .... Call it carry optics revolver?, what's another class in USPSA????...

Another opinion, I suppose some would say a "red dot" would give you an advantage? My eyesight wants/needs the "red dot" versus the open sight (even with the fiber optic version). USPSA likes their "rules" which are supposed to level the field???. In ICORE I must shoot "open" because of the "dot". There are many more USPSA match's in my area than ICORE match's that I don't shoot because I'd be in the "open" class...... Remove the "red dot" ban and you would see many more revolver's at a USPSA match...... IF there is an advantage the "Boys" would soon have "red dots" on their revo's.....AND you will see more revolver shooter's in USPSA. HA!!!! .... Call it carry optics revolver?, what's another class in USPSA????...

I look at this like I do with PCC, it would only bring in a couple of shooters and the rest of us would just convert. I don't that we'll ever find out though.

On 5/25/2017 at 10:49 PM, Kurusty said:

I'd rather have the option of shooting major in 8 shot

I wanted to try my 627 with self defense ammo in a match setting, even used my IWB holster.  Shot 5 stages with normal SC ammo, then warned the RO and changed the FS for the 125 jhp loads at 1480 f/s.  Thought the RO, a good buddy, was going to have a stroke.  Fun as all get out and didn't hurt my times either.  Definitely tougher on the hands!!!

Of course even though the loads were a 185 PF, still scored minor cause of the 8 shot thing.  

May have to do it for a whole match some time.

As for USPSA Revolver Division, I guess an argument could be made to remove all restrictions in Revolver.  Major, Minor, Optics, Iron Sights, compensated or no all in.  Who knows might bring out all those who just have to spruce things up wildly.  If the division isn't doing well???

I'm on hiatus at this time, but in the next year or two "I'll Be Back!" FWIW :rolleyes:

Edited by pskys2
added content

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO ... they should just make an optic an allowable option in several divisions. Everytime I have tried to shoot steel challenge with an optic I end up taking it back off and just using regular sights.

Having the extra capacity, major power factor / compensation etc etc in open is great and beneficial but how much an advantage is just having a dot instead of an iron sight.

I wonder how many started Carry Optics (before the capacity rule change) and discovered they were just as fast with regular sights ... (like running though a maze of barriers ... leaning around a corner with 4 paper targets about 5yds .) ...For the 25-50yd stand in one box stage ... perhaps but otherwise?? <_<

7 minutes ago, MWP said:

The dot is the single largest advantage in the type of shooting we do. No way iron sights can compete with it. 

Well ... there you go ... CO does show slightly faster than Production (based on classifier HF) ... which should be comparable w/o the dot ...

Just for the heck of it ... pulling up an old standard ... El Presidente ... you only have to have a 4.30 HF to get a "C" in Carry Optics ... you have to have a 4.32 HF in Limited; Limited 10 and Single Stack to get a "C" ... major PF contributing no doubt. Production only requires 4.10 ... yielding to the dot based on these classifiers records (2/10 of a HF faster!!).

The Dot is a huge advantage if you practice with it enough.

No way we could support two revolver divisions, I just don't see it. Allow optic in the existing revolver division, may as well allow comps to, what the hell. I don't really think that is a good idea either. Revolver is already a pretty pricey division, adding 300-500 dollar optics to the guns will only make it more expensive. This may discourage people who think it looks fun from trying it out.

Seems like it would be a waist of effort.

5 hours ago, pete627 said:

Well ... there you go ... CO does show slightly faster than Production (based on classifier HF) ... which should be comparable w/o the dot ...

Just for the heck of it ... pulling up an old standard ... El Presidente ... you only have to have a 4.30 HF to get a "C" in Carry Optics ... you have to have a 4.32 HF in Limited; Limited 10 and Single Stack to get a "C" ... major PF contributing no doubt. Production only requires 4.10 ... yielding to the dot based on these classifiers records (2/10 of a HF faster!!).

Classifiers aren't really going to show the difference. People go zero or hero everyday on those, classifiers really only show the physical capabilities of the guns themselves- a single action limited gun vs a striker or da/sa. 

Where I'm talking about is a stage, limited vs open. Use an area match that doesn't require a reload for limited, or a 32 round field course where both an open and limited gun reload. 

Even in the revolver world, take a look where the two guns go head to head- the IRC and the Steel Challenge. 5-10% advantage goes to the dot alone.

The dot is a massive advantage in our game. 

• 1 year later...

I just emailed IDPA. It should definitely be allowed. The whole idea behind IDPA is to "shoot what you carry"... I carry a revolver with a a dot. It shouldn't be confined to semi autos. I have a semi auto race gun and I love it but I also have many revolvers and one is an open gun for ICORE. So USPSA and IDPA need to get with the program because many people carry revos with dots and would love to shoot them in competitions where ICORE is not offered in their area.

I just emailed IDPA. It should definitely be allowed. The whole idea behind IDPA is to "shoot what you carry"... I carry a revolver with a a dot. It shouldn't be confined to semi autos. I have a semi auto race gun and I love it but I also have many revolvers and one is an open gun for ICORE. So USPSA and IDPA need to get with the program because many people carry revos with dots and would love to shoot them in competitions where ICORE is not offered in their area.
I appendix carry a J-frame with a dot. I had it milled into the top strap so I could co-witness with the factory sights.

1 minute ago, PatJones said:
58 minutes ago, major2011 said:

I appendix carry a J-frame with a dot. I had it milled into the top strap so I could co-witness with the factory sights.

Awesome...this just goes to show there is a need for this division to expand.