Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slowest .223 powder you've used?

aandabooks

Books seem to stop at CFE .223 for being the slowest powder listed.  Has anyone tried anything slower with results that run the gun?

I have a 7.5" AR pistol and I want to build a couple hundred fireball spewing rounds just for fun.  I've shot some Tulammo and whatever powder they use produces some good sized fireballs.

At FNH last year Bruce Piatt was shooting heavy metal. His 308 was the loudest rifle I ever heard next to a 50 BMG. He said the year before he caught the fallen tree on fire. He said he was using a really slow powder. I emailed him and he thinks it was WC844. In the bright sun it looked like a flame thrower.

• 2 weeks later...

For actual loads, IMR 4064. Just to burn through powder, Hybrid 100V. Fill the case, put a bullet on top. No idea on the velocity, burned dirty and abraded my muzzle brake. I stopped after a pound or so for the listed reasons. Good enough for plinking though.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Alliant 2000 MR. It didn't seem especially flashy.

Now if you want flashy, try a hot load of H335. It produces awesome fireballs as I suspect it lacks the flash suppressant of its military ball equivalent. In 308 it produces VERY significant flash.

On 5/27/2017 at 1:41 AM, 1time said:

At FNH last year Bruce Piatt was shooting heavy metal. His 308 was the loudest rifle I ever heard next to a 50 BMG. He said the year before he caught the fallen tree on fire. He said he was using a really slow powder. I emailed him and he thinks it was WC844. In the bright sun it looked like a flame thrower.

WC844 isnt a slow powder, it's equivalent to H335

I have no idea where it is in burn rate. Only what Bruce Piatt relayed to me. I spoke with him about it in September and don't remember what he said he used. I emailed him in may and wasn't positive but he said that was what he thought it was. Maybe he was mistaken on it being a slow powder or maybe he was mistaken on what he had used. Either way, working the match I saw 300 people a year for 4 years and his rifle/load stuck out in the loud and bright area.