Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New thumb safety was a drop in part. Good or bad?

Jay870

I just installed a Phoenix Trinity shielded ambi thumb safety and aside from having to do some fitting of the right side paddle and grip it dropped right in. I.e., I did not have to touch the lug that engages the sear once.

With the grip safety removed and the thumb safety on/up I visually confirmed that the sear does not move at all when the trigger is pulled. It passes every function check. It snaps nicely on and off. If anything it is too sensitive, if it isn't completely bottomed out in the down/off position the hammer won't drop.

For the record this is a Gans built wide-body with a Para frame. This was my first ever work on a 1911/2011 platform, I read every article I could find and watched every YouTube vid I could find on fitting a thumb safety and was all ready with my files and stones to do a methodical fitting this very expensive thumb safety and never made a single cut. Not sure if I should be happy or terrified lol.

Edited by Jay870

Aside from fitting the tab that extends under the grip on the right side this is as it came out of the package. Once I live fire function test it I'll do some work on dialing in the thumb pads.

ptrear.thumb.jpg.3f4d1069581e9eb65a7c388910033281.jpgptleft.thumb.jpg.099caf1276963be92f17d33a16869808.jpgptright.thumb.jpg.1528a4fea04f69fc74ef9273c9879a9d.jpg

49 minutes ago, M1A4ME said:

Of the five that I've installed over the years (different brands of 1911's and different brands of safeties) I've only had to file on the safety one time.

Good to know, I was left with the impression that these never drop in.

23 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Are these the ones that join differently that a standard ambidextrous safety?

I'm a 1911 noob so I don't know what is "standard". The PT just has a tongue and groove and is basically the same setup as the Wilson I took out.

Edited by Jay870

1 hour ago, Jay870 said:

Good to know, I was left with the impression that these never drop in.

I'm a 1911 noob so I don't know what is "standard". The PT just has a tongue and groove and is basically the same setup as the Wilson I took out.

I think it was Lone Star Innovations that was working on one.  I checked their site and didn't see it though......

Trace: egw has the safety that has a sleeve over the tennon joint and also have an extended nub on the hammer pin that goes into a slot on the right side safety. 

This is the egw. It's a clever design. 

11322.jpg

Edited by BeerBaron

I believe Lonestar's original design had a screw that allowed for the sear engagement to be adjusted.  It looks like that design is no longer available and it's just the traditional file to fit lug now.