Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sp-o1 / Shadow 2 vs Tanfoglio Stock 2

Fasthenk65

If you don't shoot IDPA, go with Stock2 or shadow2

recoil: shadow2 < Stock2 < sp01/ shadow (this is very subjective)

Mods: To be comp ready, shadow2 only need swap out some springs to get 5.lb DA and 2.5lb SA trigger.

Stock2 needs $400 of parts (titan hammer, BOLO, front sight, springs, grips, safety, sear, FPB), a lot of polishing and a little bit of luck.

But, personally, I like the look and hard chrome finish on Stock2 better:D

Edited by philippshen

13 hours ago, philippshen said:

If you don't shoot IDPA, go with Stock2 or shadow2

recoil: shadow2 < Stock2 < sp01/ shadow (this is very subjective)

Mods: To be comp ready, shadow2 only need swap out some springs to get 5.lb DA and 2.5lb SA trigger.

Stock2 needs $400 of parts (titan hammer, BOLO, front sight, springs, grips, safety, sear, FPB), a lot of polishing and a little bit of luck.

But, personally, I like the look and hard chrome finish on Stock2 better:D

Fallacy...you only need a hammer spring, trim the factory plunger spring, recoil spring of your choice, grips (if you so choose - because some people like the wood ones), guide rod, firing pin and a good polish job. No reason to replace the safeties, sear or FPB. Front sight of either black or fiber is a choice. You don't need a new hammer or a bolo. All of the things you listed are a choice of how you want your guns set up and more $ with little return to performance.

The Shadow 2 is a great feeling gun and a few spring changes and boom, lit! 

Edited by Prov1x

how much garage gun smithing are you comfortable doing?

how many choices do you need for aftermarket or stock parts?

what size are your hands and how do you grip the gun?

i think the answers to these three questions tell you which gun you want.

I agree with ProV; for the longest time all I ran in my first Stock 2 was a 14lb PD Hammer spring and 10lb recoil spring with a light interior polish on the gun and a Dawson FO front sight.  Nothing was holding me back from winning matches except myself.

1 minute ago, rowdyb said:

Having now shot my Shadow 2 more I'd rank it above the SP01 Shadow without reservation. So now your question is Stock 2 or Shadow 2.

Rowdy is it much bigger than the sp01?  Hard to tell, but in pics it looks more along the lines in size of the shadow 2

I'll be shooting my Shadow 2 at your match Sunday Steven, you can check it out then if you wish. L10 minor! hahaha

Yes the Shadow 2 is larger in some dimensions than the SP01 Shadow. The ergos of the grip on the Shadow 2 make it immediately feel nicer in hand to me.

I have only shot Stock 2 while goofing off, never in a match nor owned one.

I had two SP-01s (Cajunized). I really liked the CZs, but my fingers are longer than average and the grip just didn't set right with me (besides USPSA I also shoot a 1911 and 2011 in IDPA, "Action-Shooting" (e.g. rogue club), and some multi-gun at times). I sold the CZs end of last season and was considering a Stock 2 (tuned up). However, I purchased a Shadow 2. The grip is better per Rowdy's comments. The trigger guard is "better" as well (size and shape). Overall my hand-to-grip ergos on the Shadow 2 were much more to my liking than the SP-01. I also like the additional weight of the gun. Added extended firing pin and spring, 11.5# mainspring, couple of other minor tweaks/spring and it rocks. I did put LOK Palm Swell boogies on it because the extended mag release button coupled with the aluminum grips was tending to "dig" into my support hand  "beefy" pad a bit. With the Palm Swell grips I get even better grip purchase and the mag release issue evaporated. Now that I've shot it a few times I really like it and ordered another AA belt, holster, and mag pouches for a USPSA ready-to-go rig.

I was practicing transitions on various steel plate rack setups at our range (50' to 65' racks with various size six-plate arrangements, from 4" D to 10" D) using various stock 115 gr ammo. There was a guy next to me shooting an M&P 9mm that was getting one clang for every four or five shots. I was getting a clang 6 out of 7 shots just testing it. One the smaller 4" D plates at 55' he was lucky to hit 1 out of 10. I was shooting medium speed (just running the Shadow 2 through its paces) and was getting over 50% hits on the little devils. The more I practice with it the more I like it. It ran over 250 rounds in two sessions so far without a single hiccup or issue. It is a sweet machine.

4 hours ago, Prov1x said:

Fallacy...you only need a hammer spring, trim the factory plunger spring, recoil spring of your choice, grips (if you so choose - because some people like the wood ones), guide rod, firing pin and a good polish job. No reason to replace the safeties, sear or FPB. Front sight of either black or fiber is a choice. You don't need a new hammer or a bolo. All of the things you listed are a choice of how you want your guns set up and more $ with little return to performance.

The Shadow 2 is a great feeling gun and a few spring changes and boom, lit! 

I list those parts because it makes stock2 match the shadow2 factory setup, since shaodw2 has alum grips, fiber front sight, comp hammer, pre-b disco, thin safety from the factory

From my experience, change Titan hammer, one-piece sear, and extended FPB on stock2 are must for lighter and reliable DA pull.