Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow SP-01 vs Stock 2

I wouldn't say the CZ trigger is better.  I have a Lim Pro and a CZ SP-01.  One has PD internals and the other has Cajun internals. The Tanfo has the better trigger.  Both were pretty bad out of the box.  The Tanfo only sets of Fed SP reliably.

1 hour ago, B_RAD said:

I liked the trigger on my Tanfo as much if not more than my Shadows. 

Reloads are gonna be easier with the CZ. 

Both are awesome guns!

@B_RAD, you ever open up the magwell on the inside like @MemphisMechanic did?  I haven't been on the forums much lately. I wonder how much of a difference it's made for those who've cut away the inside of the large frame like that, and if we can still say that the CZs reload easier. 

36 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

@B_RAD, you ever open up the magwell on the inside like @MemphisMechanic did?  I haven't been on the forums much lately. I wonder how much of a difference it's made for those who've cut away the inside of the large frame like that, and if we can still say that the CZs reload easier. 

I can say without a doubt that my Tanfo loads more easily than a CZ, G34, or an M&P now. Throating the magwell made an incredible difference.

45 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

I never did. I sold the Tanfo (selling CZ's and gonna shoot Glock)  But I believe what MM says. I bet it's like having an external mag well. 

Edited by B_RAD

@johnbu the difference is that I took the time to remove the final 1mm or so by hand with a coarse curved file, then sanded it to contour with 80gr sandpaper wrapped around a wooden dowel, and finished with a dremel.

Thats why mine doesn't really have "this was ground on" looking edges.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@johnbu the difference is that I took the time to remove the final 1mm or so by hand with a coarse curved file, then sanded it to contour with 80gr sandpaper wrapped around a wooden dowel, and finished with a dremel.

Thats why mine doesn't really have "this was ground on" looking edges.

No, it still has that look. @johnbu worked smarter, not harder. #LearnFromYourElders

4 hours ago, goshimu said:

Cz and stock 2 are both great.

you can get to the top with either if you train!!!

^ That's right.   Neither of these guns will hold you back from your potential. The person is going to be the limiting factor.   And both are extremely fun to shoot. 

Just look at @B_RAD,  I have no doubt he's going to achieve a high level of success in the sport, and he decided to go back the Glock  after shooting both CZ and Tanfoglio. He definitely won't have as much fun though. :P

If the Comparison was Stock 2 vs Shadow 2 then it would have been more even

The Stock 2 is a waaaaay better option than a CZ Shadow 1

Heavier , Bull Barrel, better sights, better ergonomics, better looking etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MissionaryMike said:

^ That's right.   Neither of these guns will hold you back from your potential. The person is going to be the limiting factor.   And both are extremely fun to shoot. 

Just look at @B_RAD,  I have no doubt he's going to achieve a high level of success in the sport, and he decided to go back the Glock  after shooting both CZ and Tanfoglio. He definitely won't have as much fun though. :P

Not gonna lie....the cz and Tanfo are a little more sexy than the G34!

I did make M in both USPSA and IDPA while shooting the CZ and I kinda feel that the CZ helped. But I was a new shooter. I had been shooting less than 6 months. I feel the weight helped because I wasn't gripping as hard as I should. 

The thing is, I realized that with all three guns I had likes and dislikes. The CZ seemed to be the easiest to shoot accurately. Not that it's more accurate. I think it's just easier for me to shoot accurately. The G34 requires better fundamentals. Mainly grip and trigger control. I like the sight radius and the grip (front to back) better on the G34. Plus, it's a LOT cheaper!

I also realized with the proper amount of grip, the amount of recoil doesn't seem to register. Meaning if I grip hard enough, I can't really tell the glock recoils more. At least not while shooting a stage. 

And after seeing the results at the top level, seeing there's always someone in the top 3 shooting a poly gun of some type, I decided to quit worrying about how much a gun weighs and just practice!  

The hand size of the shooter would probably be a big deciding factor. My hands are border line large. I prefer the Tanfo grip. 

Edited by B_RAD

I agree.  The grips ergonomics of any gun is the most subjective part of choosing the right piece.  I only wear medium sized gloves, but that's due to my short fingers.  My palm or the meaty part of my hand fits in a large glove better.  Hence, I like the Tanfo's ergos.  When I measure my wife's hand up to mine, palm to palm, the overall length from wrist to finger tip isn't that' much shorter, maybe a 1/4-inch.  But her palms are small, and her fingers are long, skinny piano fingers.  She much prefers the CZ's ergos.

• 1 year later...

Bumping an old topic. I was gonna buy a Shadow 2 but am at some budgetary restraints. And it would be nice to afford ammo also. So I've been looking at used guns. There are few SP-01 Shadows. One already has a lighter main spring and some polishing done by a gunsmith. One is default. Prices are 650e and 750e. Ages 5 and 2 years. Then there is a Tanfoglio Stock 2 from 2008 with 4000 rounds through it. No work done. The price is 750e also. I'll be able to try the Stock 2 in few weeks but how much am I looking to spend to make the Tanfoglio trigger a bit nicer? And is it even worth to spend that much for a 10 year old gun? I know the ergos mean a lot. 

So far I've been shooting our clubs Glock 17's. I've tried the Shadow 2 and SP-01 Shadow. Shadow 2 ergos feel nice but it seems quite nose heavy. The SP-01 with default grips doesn't feel too good. 

Gun will be for IPSC Production 

All advice welcome.

Edited by Tirppa

The stock 2 will benefit from lighter springs.  hammer - either EG "medium" or Patriot Defense 15.5 pound. 

Firing pin return, sear, trigger return - get the Patriot Defense optimized

That's about 50 bucks.

If you want better ... the "Unica" heavy da hammer. The geometry of it may very likely require a shorter spring. But i believe  it's IPSC legal and wil give the best trigger.

On 5/25/2017 at 7:44 AM, emjei said:

If the Comparison was Stock 2 vs Shadow 2 then it would have been more even

The Stock 2 is a waaaaay better option than a CZ Shadow 1

For me the Shadow 2 is nose heavy and the grip is redesigned more to accommodate ladies & men with girl hands :).

Stock 2 fits me best, but I could be very happy with any of the SP01 variants and the price on used is often nice. 

...This is the bravest hollowing of a tanfoglio magwell that i have ever seen on a stock 2/3. I simply cannot bring myself to remove that "straight" section of the back panel in there like you have. Curious, were you ever ramming the mags into the grip screw mounts once all that extra space was opened up? Its seems like removing that straight piece that essentially guides your magazine along its way to being inserted would cause it to slam into any surface that protrudes in the magwell/grip panel (i.e grip screw mounts)

magwelltanfo.JPG