Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No access to chrono, what to do?

rootacres

What does everyone do when they don't have access to a chrono but reload for making PF in a level 2 match? Do you just load what everyone in the forums suggests and then hope it works?

If you are a gamble,go for it !

$150.00 entry fee,tank of gas $50-to $60. One way.

food,motel .

Zero at chrono,no score..

find a chrono somewhere.

8 minutes ago, rootacres said:

What does everyone do when they don't have access to a chrono but reload for making PF in a level 2 match? Do you just load what everyone in the forums suggests and then hope it works?

Unless they are loading exactly the same components in exactly the same barrel, I would not. Actually I still wouldn't.

I tried a bunch of recommended loads to make major in 40 when I started loading it, some with the same components, most were no where near major in my gun.

Shoot factor ammo at the major.

Then make saving up $100 for a Chrono your absolute top priority. It's important to you and your gun's safety.

Or ask around at your local match. Even if your only local matches are indoors and chono use isn't permitted... someone there will have one and a place in the country to shoot. You just have to get to know that guy!

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Every fifth guy at your local range has a chrono.  The range may even have one stashed away in the back.

Just ask around at your next match and somebody will have one you can borrow for the time it takes to check your stuff.

Then skip one match and buy a chrono.

AD

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2017 at 6:28 PM, rootacres said:

I guess I never realized chronos were so inexpensive. I just ordered one, all good.  Now just need to find a place to use it. Thanks everyone 

Most places that I've shot (indoor and Outdoor) are cool with it if you let a RO know ahead of time. Indoor ranges are a little trickier. I usually get there before they open/close and shoot a practice session and ask the RO when the shut the range down for the night, Can I throw my chrono out and blast 5 rounds through it real fast. 

Never hurts to ask. 

Most places that I've shot (indoor and Outdoor) are cool with it if you let a RO know ahead of time. Indoor ranges are a little trickier. I usually get there before they open/close and shoot a practice session and ask the RO when the shut the range down for the night, Can I throw my chrono out and blast 5 rounds through it real fast. 

Never hurts to ask. 

You do need a light system to use A chrono indoors.....

If you declare Major but chrono Minor, you get Minor points (your score is recalculated as Minor).  If you chrono sub-minor, you shoot for fun.  (Appendix C2 / 39 & 40)

Edited by teros135

9 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Your local outdoor gun range  ....   ??

OP is in the Chicago suburbs -- not quite so simple as just telling him roll out to an outdoor gun range as a non-member... 

Contact the MD at the range where you shoot your local matches and ask if it would be possible for you to chrono some rounds before or after the next match.  As long as you can set it up and do it quick, they will probably be OK with it.

On 6/13/2017 at 1:55 PM, PatJones said:

You do need a light system to use A chrono indoors.....

Sometimes, this necessitates getting creative, lol.

IMG_20170615_2201231_zpsz1ydqzmy.jpg

But yes, it'd be tough to rig this at your run-of-the-mill indoor range. I'm fortunate in that mine's a club and I'm typically the only one there.