Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering Single-Stack; looking for expert wisdom

matteekay

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/1/2017 at 7:28 PM, zzt said:

I don't know why you would shoot 235gr @ 835fps for SS.  That is way hotter than you need.  I shoot a 200gr TC at 860fps for 172PF, and it is a lot softer shooting than factory.

It was my fortune to be shooting the factory (Federal Syntech) 230gr that listed at 835fps, when I shot Area 6. I had seen no problems when I tested it over my chrono prior to the Area 6 match, but as it turned out it registered over the chronograph at 771fps at the match. That is still faster than the load that you listed, I know, but it would be my luck that I would run a load like yours and have it drop below major.

I currently reload 45 Colt, and have not started reloading 45 ACP yet. That is mainly why I use factory ammunition currently, and the Federal Syntech, Magtech, and Winchester have 230gr loads that are around 835fps. 

I am used to shooting 45 Colt 250gr RNFP at ~720 fps (180PF), so 45 ACP 230gr at 835fps feels softer to me.

Edited by Blueridge
used wrong chronograph information in previous posting

I have been shooting SS minor mostly the last two years.    

One thing that was recently pointed out to me and was spot on.  The minor/major issue is not only match specific, but target type specific.  Sure, the nationals have been major friendly.  Looking at local and regional matches; you not only look at the target array layout, but the ratio of steel to paper.  I never consider this point about steel.  The  greater amount of steel in a match starts to lean strongly to minor.  Think about the points/misses and makeup shots with steel.  There are not C/Ds on steel, just A.  So the minor gun can really make ground up.  Not loosing points, somewhat quicker shooting and a little extra insurance round count wise.

There is no question that 10 in a mag lets you press harder than 8 does.  The same thing is true in Limited.  20 in a mag lets you shoot two views with 4 spares.

I'll also note that the better you are, the less 8 rounds is any handicap.  I'm thinking of a couple of good, experienced SS shooters shooting 45.  They blaze through the course without a miss.  I've never seen one of them do a standing mag change.

10 hours ago, zzt said:

There is no question that 10 in a mag lets you press harder than 8 does.  The same thing is true in Limited.  20 in a mag lets you shoot two views with 4 spares.

I'll also note that the better you are, the less 8 rounds is any handicap.  I'm thinking of a couple of good, experienced SS shooters shooting 45.  They blaze through the course without a miss.  I've never seen one of them do a standing mag change.

Yeah, this. I'm not that good, but it took til our 5th stage today before I fired my first makeup shot.

Like most experienced shooters, I think stages with 4 distinct 8 round positions are lame and boring. I try to mix things up a little and give everyone some options, especially if you have mini-poppers, or an unloaded start, why be a dick and make every position 8 rounds? Make some targets visible from multiple locations and let people have some fun (and confusion).

the thing that makes major attractive is once a shooter gets to the point where they have the skill and discipline to shoot w/o makeups when it is required, but can shift gears and take advantage of the extra points when the targets are open or there is opportunity for a makeup.

I use a 40 so I can load up tp major or down to minor. I have a set of tripp mags that hold 10 and are legal for single stack. Most of the majors I looked at shooting favored the 10 round gun. SS nats is in favor of major. My new single stack is being built in 40 also. I am lazy I run same major minor loads in limited guns also.

Mike

i need a gun that can do multiple divisions if possible across the two sports. so i just bought a .45 1911 so i can shoot cdp in idpa and ss in uspsa if i choose to. i already have a lim/lim 10 gun so the 1911 model was the best choice for my potential needs.

i love shooting production though, so we'll see how much use this gun gets anyways.

I've been on the SS deal for about 2 seasons now. I'm seeing alot of stages at majors come up where SS Minor/10 rounds are more beneficial to the shooter. The Top SS guy is still shooting major but alot of minor guys are right behind first place. 

Personally I cant get over the points difference. SS Minor is just the same as production. I'm not a fan of that rule, but I'm considering getting a 9mm gun just because so many stages are leaning toward minor guns. IMHO. Even Major friendly stages (8 round arrays) dont bother the minor shooters because they can shoot the stage the same as the Major guns, reloading after 8 instead of 10. 

On 6/2/2017 at 6:21 AM, zzt said:

That's a far cry from the 230 at 835 stated above.

Yes it is. Which is why I posted it. Factory ammo in a SS 45 for USPSA is too hot. The loads I am using are much better suited and can still meet major PF and eaily drop any steel target I've come across so far. Just another data point in the wind.

• 1 month later...

Well... I took the plunge. Relatively inexpensively. Picked up this guy used:

35898197641_2f06bc11f1_c.jpg

RIA Ultra Tac II. It's actually the 9mm/22TCM model but didn't come with the TCM barrel or mag - totally fine with me since I don't get the point of that round. It included three 9mm mags (two Metalforms and one Chip McCormick) and one Wilson .45 10-rounder (?). Slide play feels pretty good and the trigger is surprisingly solid. It seemed like a decent choice for a division that I'm only going to do once in a while.

I don't intend to invest a ton into it but the plan for now is:

- Wilson Combat Shok Buff 

- 2 more mags (Dawsons) and Dawson baseplates for the other 3

- Slightly bigger magwell. This one is better than nothing but not by much.

- Thinner grips with full "scoop" so I might be able to reach the mag release (short thumbs)

- If I still can't, extended mag release (probably STI) 

Off to investigate cheap holster and mag pouch options!

22 minutes ago, matteekay said:

I'll look into those!

Won't the BOSS hanger drop the gun too low for single stack rules?

Its got a few different levels (4 I think) that you can hang the gun at. I use the second one from the top and the front strap clears the belt just fine

magwell:

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Techwell-Magwell-P564.aspx

grips with a thumb cut like you like:

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Techwell-G10-DrillTec-Aggressive-Grip-P3734.aspx

both are IPSC and IDPA (CDP/ESP) legal

If you want to keep it IDPA legal for ESP, here is the mag button i'd recommend too:
https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Dawson-Mag-Release-1911-IDPA-Legal-Length-Blued-P2250.aspx

Edited by Dutchman195

5 hours ago, matteekay said:

Perfect!

I'm looking at all of Techwell's offerings (as well as a few others). Any advice on whether I should do an open-front well like the TGO or a full funnel like the Dawson ICE?

Pros for both:

For me the TGO works because I hit the back of the magwell. Plus I dislike the closed front because there is a little gap in there between gun and magwell. Does it matter? no. Its a mental block that I think i'll get something stuck in there (like a finger)

The dawson is nice because it has replaceable inserts so if you beat it up alot its simple to replace, whereas the Techwell is gonna be more expensive. 

I also feel the techwell is wider, but probably also a personal thing having never actually measured it. 

I'm leaning toward the ICE, though I guess I should decide if I ever intend to carry this gun before slapping that dinner plate on the bottom of it.

Looking at the rules - can SS Minor shooters start with 10+1? They seem to state "no more than 10 rounds per mag after the start signal".

On 7/21/2017 at 4:25 PM, matteekay said:

I'm leaning toward the ICE, though I guess I should decide if I ever intend to carry this gun before slapping that dinner plate on the bottom of it.

Looking at the rules - can SS Minor shooters start with 10+1? They seem to state "no more than 10 rounds per mag after the start signal".

Yes, 10+1 on a loaded gun start.