Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Softest 9mm Minor Powder?

rootacres

I currently use 3.25 gr of TG loaded to 1.12 OAL (cause i have too #tanfogliolife) with 147 gr sns coated RN and now switching to 150 gr blue bullets RN. Which powder has the softest feel? I know TG is on the dirtier side and I don't really care. I usually clean my gun after every match anyway. Is there a better option out there for me? 

20 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

I like 3.2 grains of VV N320.  Feels light and shoots good.  No smoke and I can run thousands of rounds with no buildups.

Bullet weight?

With a 147? N310. It's approaching  dangerous pressures just to hit 130-135 PF though.

Clays and red dot are up there, too.

Eventually though, you figure out it doesn't matter too much. A good accurate load that's reliable in your gun is all you need. Pick one and practice.

(I'm currently shooting Prima V and it does a terrific job of being pretty damn soft and running through my gun extremely accurately.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

With a 147? N310. It's approaching  dangerous pressures just to hit 130-135 PF though.

Clays and red dot are up there, too.

Eventually though, you figure out it doesn't matter too much. A good accurate load that's reliable in your gun is all you need. Pick one and practice.

(I'm currently shooting Prima V and it does a terrific job of being pretty damn soft and running through my gun extremely accurately.)

I got some 147 gr bullets I want to try with some prima v ,I was gonna try 3.2 and 3.4 for starters at 1.135 oal for my g34. Just wondering after reading your post if you would mind sharing your load might help me narrow down my loading and range trips. Thanks in advance 

Alliant Clay Dot, e3, American Select, and Promo are all soft shooters and available at PV right now. 

Personally I am fond of American Select as it is very clean, very accurate, and easy to load (very close to solo1k but meters better).  Clay Dot is also good, but can get spikey when pushed beyond about 135pf.   

I use Vectan GM3 and am very happy with that also.  3.0gr under a SNS 147 coated bullet - Accurate, very clean, and i think it is a soft shooting powder. 

In an effort to get rid of some free CFE which did not work well in .45, I experimented with Blue Bullet 135 and 147's. Using 4.1 grains of CFE over the 135 has led me to my new 3 Gun load, it has the lowest recoil I have felt and reliably function a 4.5 XDm slide. I used 3.5 of the CFE over the 147's, and it is just as good. I have not chrono'd them, but will at the next chance.

I really recommend you give it a try.

I'm a big fan of N320 and Blue Bullet 147gr RN.Yeah, N320 is expensive (I paid $32/lb shipped price for 8lb in the fall) but it's still only 1.5 cents worth of powder per round, so who cares. The bullet cost is the driver, not the powder.