Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rocksett or loctite for screws

Chillywig

Last trip to the range I had an issue where my groups were all over the place. I was verifying zero for a 9mm major load I had been using successfully but just changed from a dillon die to lee U die. Dot felt tight and wasn't sure what was wrong. Upon returning home I noticed the 3 screws holding the mount were all loose but the 2 in the thumb rest stayed tight - so the mount appeared to be tight but if I really pushed it - it moved. All screws were blue loctited and torqued using a fat wrench about 1500 rounds ago. Just wondering if rocksett might be a better choice than the blue loctite? What about on the comp set screws?

20170521_220008_resized.jpg

I use red Loctite on the mount screws, after cleaning and degreasing the screws and holes.  The screw nearest to the grip still comes loose; I may try Loctite primer there (good idea, guys?).

I go red on the mount screws too. Red on the comp set screws as well. 

If you have to remove them be sure to use heat. Trying to remove them without heat may well end in a stripped head. 

Edited by BeerBaron

• 2 months later...
On 5/24/2017 at 7:48 AM, teros135 said:

I use red Loctite on the mount screws, after cleaning and degreasing the screws and holes.  The screw nearest to the grip still comes loose; I may try Loctite primer there (good idea, guys?).

Check your frame for a small crack at the hole. I had a screw that was immune to red loctite. Turned out it was cracked. I discovered the crack after the first day of the 2014 Nationals :angry:

MountHoleCrack.jpg

54 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Check your frame for a small crack at the hole. I had a screw that was immune to red loctite. Turned out it was cracked. I discovered the crack after the first day of the 2014 Nationals :angry:

MountHoleCrack.jpg

Thanks.  I'll take a look tonight.