Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to replace M&p parts

jeremy kemlo

I bought my Smith & Wesson M&p pro 5 inch 9 mm with about 5000 rounds on it. When I got it I install an apex competition action enhancement kit. Since then I've put an additional 7000 rounds on the gun. What should I replace at this point?  What should I replace at what intervals?  I shoot 147gr bayou bullets minor power factor.

right now the gun runs perfect but I don't want a failure in a match. 

1. New Recoil spring 13lbs?

2.do I need a new guild rod and if          so should I go tungsten?

3. Apex competition spring kit?

4.Striker?

5. Slide stop?

Not shure if any or all needs to be replaced or if I am overlooked something. 

Jeremy, I am if it's not broke don't fix it kind of guy.Probably got 15k to 20K on my 5 inch 40. About half with 9mm. I change mag springs the first nose in the feed ramp jam I get and that is about it. Broke a slide lock and replaced maybe 5K ago. JMO

36 minutes ago, horseman said:

Jeremy, I am if it's not broke don't fix it kind of guy.Probably got 15k to 20K on my 5 inch 40. About half with 9mm. I change mag springs the first nose in the feed ramp jam I get and that is about it. Broke a slide lock and replaced maybe 5K ago. JMO

So my handgun would have about the same number of rounds as yours when the slide lock broke. Was it still functional when it broke? Did it just not lock back or is it a failure that would cause you to DNF on a stage. 

I have broken a couple of slide locks. In every case, the actuation pad on one side or the other broke off, but the part was still functional. Worst case, you would have to slingshot the slide if it locked open (seldom necessary due to the autoforwarding "feature" of the platform).

The only part I ever had break that brought the gun to a halt was an Apex DCAEK trigger spring. It was one of the early-generation trigger springs which did not have the felt damper inside. Apex sent me a bunch of replacements, and I have not had one break since.

I put a LOT of mileage on my M&Ps, but they just keep humming along without a problem. If I were you, I would buy a bunch of spare parts and keep them on hand just in case (I have assorted springs, a sear block assy, a striker assy, an Apex extractor, a slide lock assy, and replacement fiber optic material for the front sight). The only part I would change as preventative maintenance would be the recoil spring.

Oh, and if a part breaks, mail it back to S&W asking for a replacement... they USUALLY send one no problem. Occasionally they might ask you to send the gun in for repair, which I refuse to do as I don't want all my competition parts removed and replaced with crappy factory parts. Fortunately, M&P factory parts are dirt cheap IF you can find them for sale.

• 2 weeks later...