Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Running a Romeo 1 on an OSP?

xdmfan

Based on my research this is my best option, combining motion activation with 50k hour battery life and other features I want.  The problem is mounting it.  According to Sig it probably does not match any of the OSP plates.  A Romeo 3 mounts to an RTS mount, but Sig tells me they're different mounts despite similar size bases.  For a lot more money Sig sells a kit that fits the XDM dovetail, but I don't want that, besides which then I didn't need an OSP.  Does anyone have any insights on this?

The 50,000 hour battery life is way incorrect for the Romeo1. Practical use seems to be between three months and six months of use without turning it off. This is because of the MOTAC feature that makes the dot sleep when not in motion for two minutes. I have some target battery data for the R1 in continuous motion and at medium brightness it should be good for about two months while kept in with motion. Obviously if you turn the intensity all the way up it goes down dramatically from there but practical life has been good and the batteries are easy to replace. 

The base is a bit long since it is angled in on the front and the back. I am not sure it will go on any existing adapter plates. Best best would be to have Springer Precision modify your slide for a direct mount. That would put it nice and low too. 

The biggest problem with the Romeo1 is that I have only seen it sold on the complete guns. Last week someone on Enos said that the supply is suppose to have been increased and we should start seeing 3k Romeo1 released each month outside of the ones going onto guns. Let's hope that is soon. I have some Ebay alerts set up so I will report back here when I see them start to hit the market. P.S. I have three of these right now on different P320 models. 

Having the slide machined to a particular optic would be a little like the tail wagging the dog.  If the battery life is really as you say I may as well get a DeltaPoint Pro which has the motion feature and a multi-month battery life in addition to OSP support.  My aim was a rig I could shoot some in Carry Optics, and have as a nightstand gun where I could depend on it to come on when needed without a switch, and not have a dead battery.  I didn't want to spend $500-600 for the high end dots.  At least in a pushbutton bedside safe the optic won't be coming on all the time to drain the battery.  I pick up the OSP tomorrow from the transfer but will throw my Venom on it for the short term. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...