Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Counting shots?

bsand

Well, it's apparent that I cannot count and shoot at the same time. I always lose count and usually fire one too many rounds. So I've started to download my mags, but I get worried about a dud round so I load an extra rounds and end up firing 7 instead of 6 etc.

How do you guys work on counting your shots while still maintaining the splits/accuracy?

I find myself slowing down when I have to count my shots.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bsand said:

It's more so for Virgina count stages and classifiers where it's 6 reload 6 etc.

Same answer.  Don't count your shots.  You have to program in exactly what you are going to do.  

If you are thinking your way through a stage, you are going slower than you could.  

Same answer.  Don't count your shots.  You have to program in exactly what you are going to do.  

If you are thinking your way through a stage, you are going slower than you could.  

Then how the heck do I know if o fired 5 or 6 or 7. That's the issue I have right now, I don't count and end up shooting one too many.

15 minutes ago, bsand said:

Then how the heck do I know if o fired 5 or 6 or 7. That's the issue I have right now, I don't count and end up shooting one too many.

Do your counting in your visualization and memorize the cadence.  Then, when its time to shoot, playback that rhythm.  1-2-3-4-5-6 becomes bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang.  I find myself tapping my finger before I shoot.  

You can test yourself in practice with Bill drills or with Can You Count, which forces you to do it 4 times.  

Do your counting in your visualization and memorize the cadence.  Then, when its time to shoot, playback that rhythm.  1-2-3-4-5-6 becomes bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang.  I find myself tapping my finger before I shoot.  

You can test yourself in practice with Bill drills or with Can You Count, which forces you to do it 4 times.  

Thanks will give that a try in dry fire, then try in live. Hopefully the muscle memory will start to kick in.

• 2 weeks later...

I started counting shots in my head before I ever shot in a competition. Every time at the range I load variable round counts and try to clock them in head while shooting. Now I find myself subconsciously counting round while watching tv or movie action. It's amazing how many round some of them can take without changing mags.