Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations for a 40 cal single stack

Oldminger

Gents,

looking to shoot single stack  40 cal. Any recommendations for an off the shelf gun. Can't have a lightened slide nor an extended dust cover as I want it to be IPSC compliant for those little trips overseas for matches.

Edited by Oldminger

Dan Wesson is probably the nicest gun off the shelf but toughest to find in 40.

SIG traditional or MAX model would be my next choice, with the least amount of fiddling/i.e. gunsmith work. whether preformed by you or a smith.

get rid of 80 series stuff in trigger assy. is an easy fix with a filler plate available from brownells, then its just a matter of tuning for you personal likes

Lots are going to tell you to buy a 9mm as most matches especially ipsc are designed for 10 shot guns.

If you go nine by a Dan Wesson PM-9, put the magwell of your choice on it, adjust the trigger to suit and go enjoy it.

Good fortune with the hunt

Neil

Remington 1911 Limited in 40 (single stack of course)

Sig Max or Traditional in 40.

RIA 1911 in 40 (but they are Bull barrel, so IPSC legal but not in USPSA)

I can't think of more 1911 40 cal off the shelf guns.

If I have to choose one, I will buy the Remington. They are basically similar to Para 1911 40.

I might suggest a used STI Trojan in 40.

56 minutes ago, hwansikcjswo said:

Remington 1911 Limited in 40 (single stack of course)

Sig Max or Traditional in 40.

RIA 1911 in 40 (but they are Bull barrel, so IPSC legal but not in USPSA)

I can't think of more 1911 40 cal off the shelf guns.

If I have to choose one, I will buy the Remington. They are basically similar to Para 1911 40.

I might suggest a used STI Trojan in 40.

I was thinking along the lines of an STI Trojan myself. Not too keen on the SIG as I had customer service issues with them once upon a time. I'll check out the Remington 1911, thanks for the info.

We have a few folks around here that buy 10mm single stack rigs and then install a 40 barrel. Coupled with Tripp mags they seem to run good.

just another option and something we folks here in Calif have to do to get a 40 in a SS pistol as there is no (that I know of) 40 SS on the (ever shrinking) "safe handgun roster".

Edited by BigBamBoo

40 minutes ago, BigBamBoo said:

We have a few folks around here that buy 10mm single stack rigs and then install a 40 barrel. Coupled with Tripp mags they seem to run good.

just another option and something we folks here in Calif have to do to get a 40 in a SS pistol as there is no (that I know of) 40 SS on the (ever shrinking) "safe handgun roster".

Good thought^^^^^^^^

I fitted a 40 BBL to my delta Elite forever ago,

I haven't had the 10 bbl in it for 5 or 6 years now

I found a used dan Wesson in 40 on gunbroker awhile back. After some initial fiddling with bullet profile, load length and mag selection it's been 100%. It's a long ways from the cheapest option as there weren't many made so they carry a premium cost. Overall I've been satisfied, though if I had it to do over I'd have gone 9mm minor. More often than not the extra round(s) outweigh the scoring penalty, at least in the matches I've shot both locally and at several larger matches including last years WSSSC and this years Area 1. Less expensive initially and less expensive per round. Not that cost is a huge factor but it's there. There's also a better selection of pistols available. If I had to do major I'd have gone 45 knowing what I know now even though it would have been an additional caliber. Again, more selection of guns and (generally) less finicky than either 40 or 9. YMMV.

BigBamBoo and fishsticks are correct.   I live in California, finding a SS 40 is just impossible.   And beside only a few manufacturers make a 40 SS. 10mm, with a 40sw barrel (same breech) will work and going from a 9mm to 40sw, can work but the breech mouth on some slides need to be opened in order for the 40 case to slide up.

It used to be bullet cost difference between the two calibers 45 and 40 was something to consider.     But now bullets sell for the same price for each caliber... well,  at least from Zero, they do.   So the only real difference is in the cost of brass.   IF, you were ONLY, going to shoot SS or L10, like in California, 45acp is a good choice.   Plenty of guns to choose from.

JMO  

davidb72, is right on that.    from the start, if your getting 45 brass, just make sure what you buy is all large primer holes.    buy from a good source... at the matches, leave your brass.  

just recycle what you practice with.    you shouldn't have a problem. 

Only a little to add here....

.40 is great if you load for it already or if you want one gun for major AND minor. Tripp makes 10 round .40 mags if you want to shoot light loads in minor.

If 2 guns is an option, go .45 and 9mm. Easy to get them to run. 9 is gaining in popularity so lots of options. The trend in matches even makes 9 more viable as a single gun option than it was in the past.

no doubt about it, 40sw will do everything you need it to do!        But the dilemma with the 2 guns (45and 9mm) is...two of everything!   Whats why" IF" your only shooting SS and L10?   9m or 45.   IF you really can not get a 40sw SS gun.   

Tough choice, I can see the lure for the 9mm and have shot some with it but for me...I like shooting major!

In California, you can not get anything outside of the state this anymore, whats here legal in the state, is all you can really get..       45s are a "dime a dozen"!

5 minutes ago, Oldminger said:

Couldn't say no as the price was right and they seem to be getting scarce so i dived right in. Now for some mags and a few comp friendly shinny things, where to start? Thanks for all the responses .

i run the 10-round Tripp's - 10R-10mm-RG and have not had any issues with them. Some people run the 45 mags and claim they work great too. There can be feeding issues depending on OAL, so folks play with mags to make them run. I've run Winchester white box and my loads from 1.7 - 1.2" OAL and all have fed flawlessly. Best of luck.

On 5/24/2017 at 0:02 PM, fastluck13 said:

Only a little to add here....

.40 is great if you load for it already or if you want one gun for major AND minor. Tripp makes 10 round .40 mags if you want to shoot light loads in minor.

If 2 guns is an option, go .45 and 9mm. Easy to get them to run. 9 is gaining in popularity so lots of options. The trend in matches even makes 9 more viable as a single gun option than it was in the past.

Will the Tripp 10 round mags fit the box?

1 hour ago, bulm540 said:

Will the Tripp 10 round mags fit the box?

I am 99% sure they do. I don't own any but that is what they were made for. I hold back from certain because of mags like that shit Wilson makes where the 8 rounders don't fit without filing.