Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01 Phantom VS P-09 for Carry Optics?

eric4069

Looking for advise on which is better for Carry Optics:   SP01 Phantom VS P-09??

My Carry Optics gun is a CZC SP01 Shadow Custom which is a wonderful gun and I plan to keep using it as my main CO gun.   However I would like to get a lightweight ,  less expensive

CZ pistol to use a a Carry Optics back-up gun.   

When I saw that the Phantom supposedly is coming back this year I thought I would pick one up for use as my back-up,  especially as it uses the same mags as my Shadow which would certainly be handy.   However I have read some borderline comments about the Phantom so am not sure what to do.   I could just get a P-09 for back-up instead and just deal with having to buy and bring two types of expensive mags to matches.

Thus my question above as to which is better,  Phantom or P-09?     It partly depends on how good of a trigger can I get on a Phantom,  I guess I should also try to find a Phantom and see how the grip fits my hand compared to the P-09.  I have never actually seen a Phantom.

Thanks for any comments,

Eric

I can't speak to the viability of a Phantom. I have and use a CZ P09 for carry optics. I went with the P 09 because at the time CO had a weight limit of 35 ounces (now 45). More importantly the feel of the P 09 was what sold me. The P 09 felt so good I just had to have it. Also, with springer base pads I can load 22 rounds in each magazine. I have no regrets with the P 09. 

On 5/23/2017 at 10:07 PM, GeneBray said:

Why not just an SP01?

an excellent idea and one I may end up following!  For no real reason I have just been wanting to try a polymer frame CZ as something different from what I already have.

An excuse to get a new gun as much as anything. :)

Eric

I wanted to dip my toes in CO, so I have been using my Phantom for it (only one in the safe that didnt already have a "job") for a few matches now.  First thing I did was put a CGW trigger kit in, and it made a world of diff. So far it has worked quite well.  I had been toying with the idea of getting an Accu Shadow for my primary, and use the Phantom as my backup, if I decided I wanted to play more in CO. The Phantom has the FPB, but with the CGW and a little polishing, I dont think it is an issue.

Edited by GregJ

• 2 months later...

in order to have mag and holster compatibility with my SP01 Shadow Custom I ended up going with a CZ85C.    Will be working gradually on action work then figuring out what I want to do 

for red dot mounting for Carry Optics.

eric