Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115 gn MG RN with cfe for open

k1llapanda

My search results came up empty but I'm looking for load data using 115 grain Montana gold bullets and CFE pistol powder for major with a 38 Super comp Brazos gun. I know you have to make around 1480 ish fps. Is that going to be too much?

Are you asking about whether the bullet can handle the speed, or whether the powder charge might be too large? 

The answer to the former is "maybe." MGs are plated bullets, right? Some plated bullets can handle those speeds (I.E. RMR Hardcore series), and others you probably shouldn't push them that hard. The best way is just to load some up and give it a shot. You'll surely be able to make major with a 38sc gun with a 115, so just load some up, and keep an eye on your rifling. I've never stripped the plating off of a bullet, but I suspect it would end with serious leading and let you know you're exceeding their usable velocity. 

If MGs are jacketed, you've got nothing to worry about. 

If it's the latter, you're going to have no trouble making major. Kneelingatlas has done 115gr 9major loads with CFE pistol IIRC, so you'll be able to do it in 38sc easily. 

Edited by Xanatos903

19 minutes ago, Xanatos903 said:

MGs are plated bullets, right? 

If MGs are jacketed, you've got nothing to worry about. 

Kneelingatlas has done 115gr 9major loads with CFE pistol IIRC, so you'll be able to do it in 38sc easily. 

MG's are not plated ...   I'd start low and work up, very slowly, with a chrono (after doing The Plunk Test).