Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To buy or not to buy? XDm 5.25

mikeinctown

Sorry if this seems silly, but I'm contemplating picking up an XDm Competition. The various models can be had for relatively cheap currently and with the 4 magazine rebate ($150 worth of mags)  I'm really considering picking one up. The 9mm is like $630, and the .40 and .45 can be had for $50 less than that and with a total of 7 mags, plus holster and magazine holder, it seems like a fantastic price. I've only shot a polymer pistol in .40 before when I had my Sig SP2022 and I hated how it felt, but then again I really don't like the feel of my P229 either so I'm thinking the .40 would probably not suit me.

I already own a couple CZ 75s, one a regular SP-01 and the other a SP-01 Shadow Target that I want to use for USPSA on the various weekends near me. However, I found an IDPA club that shoots after work on Mondays and Tuesdays. I was thinking of picking up the XDm for IDPA shooting OR for my girlfriend to use if she wants to shoot with me at some point. (and lets be honest, who doesn't want more guns?)

Since IDPA has different rules, does it make sense to pick up the XDm 5.25 for the local IDPA use and just use my Shadow Target for USPSA shooting?

Having owned both I would choose the P-09 over the XDm if for nothing else the lower bore axis and much less perceived recoil. I purchased a 5.25 XDm for my Wife, it lasted one session and back in the safe it went. The beaver tail bruised her hand. The P-09 she can shoot in comfort all day. Less money, more gun. Win/Win

Edited by bowenbuilt

I second the P09.  My wife darn near confiscated my P09 in .40 S&W after a range session when she was shooting rings around her XDM 3.8" 9MM.  That was the last time the XDM went to the range.  I had to buy her a CZ 75 Compact in 9MM (the P09 really is too big to conceal carry, especially for a 5' 4" woman who isn't very big at all) in order to keep my .40 P09.

The P09 in 9MM recoils so lightly that I have to keep looking at the holes in the paper and thinking about the noise to reassure myself that it really is firing.  My P09 9MM is very accurate.  Scary accurate.  There's a guy on the CZ Forum that used to use his for Bullseye shooting.  He's got some video's on YouTube of him shooting it from a rest at 100 and 200 yds. and some of his groups are better than a lot of people can do with a rifle at the same distance.

I must be the lone dissenter...

I don't shoot IDPA but shoot USPSA.

I love my XDM 5.25 and when loaded with correct power factor ammo it is very soft shooting.

I would do the 40 and buy a 9mm conversion. That way I could shoot different classes and be able to shoot major or minor.

I shoot CO and with good ammo in the 130 PF range, I can keep the dot in the glass on doubletap. At least when I slow down to see the dot. The gun is fast as well. In practice, I can routinely do split from .15 to .17

It is definitely not the gun that hinders my progress.

Broncman, I was under the impression conversion barrels are illegal in both Production and Carry Optics divisions.

From the USPSA Rules book, Production and CO division, " USPSA.Current rules remain in effect - you may replace the barrel with an OFM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun." I am not sure if that rule has been changed.

If I am incorrect, I have a 5.25 Xdm in .40 I would love to shoot in CO with 9MM. I am trying it in .40 to see if I like the division, but getting a .40 to shoot like a 9 is rather difficult, plus you lose 2-3 rounds in the mag, which really is not that big a deal. 

What I think most will agree with here is that the first thing to do in a new XDm is to replace the trigger with Springer Precision aftermarket kit from Brownells. Makes a huge difference. One really fun aspect of the XDm is you can buy a rear sight replacement CO mount from Springer and can shoot CO without milling the slide. I am not sure if the same option applies for CZ.

5 minutes ago, mont1120 said:

Broncman, I was under the impression conversion barrels are illegal in both Production and Carry Optics divisions.

From the USPSA Rules book, Production and CO division, " USPSA.Current rules remain in effect - you may replace the barrel with an OFM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun." I am not sure if that rule has been changed.

If I am incorrect, I have a 5.25 Xdm in .40 I would love to shoot in CO with 9MM. I am trying it in .40 to see if I like the division, but getting a .40 to shoot like a 9 is rather difficult, plus you lose 2-3 rounds in the mag, which really is not that big a deal. 

What I think most will agree with here is that the first thing to do in a new XDm is to replace the trigger with Springer Precision aftermarket kit from Brownells. Makes a huge difference. One really fun aspect of the XDm is you can buy a rear sight replacement CO mount from Springer and can shoot CO without milling the slide. I am not sure if the same option applies for CZ.

A 40 will shoot better than a 9mm in minor, with a 180 gr or heavier bullet it is so much softer to shoot plus you have more mass/energy to take down steel. I would never shoot Production in 9mm,  the 40 is the unknown secret for shooting Production.

Rich

Mont1120 you are right on the barrels, did not think about that... I started with the 9mm and have the full Springer trigger and their mount with a Vortex. I run 124 grain loaded to about 130 PF and run a 16lb spring.

Wanted to try a 40 but would have to retool all my reloading stuff so I stuck with 9.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2017 at 6:52 AM, RIIID said:

A 40 will shoot better than a 9mm in minor, with a 180 gr or heavier bullet it is so much softer to shoot plus you have more mass/energy to take down steel. I would never shoot Production in 9mm,  the 40 is the unknown secret for shooting Production.

Rich

Yup, i do use 165s though in my stock 2. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:37 AM, mont1120 said:

I was just looking at dovetail mounts for CZ Shadow and SP-01 at Springer.  My Shadow currently serves as backup for my SP-01 Accu-Shadow in production division, but I'm thinking of getting the dovetail mounts for both the Shadow and my XDM 5.25 to try out CO.

13 hours ago, cody6477 said:

I was just looking at dovetail mounts for CZ Shadow and SP-01 at Springer.  My Shadow currently serves as backup for my SP-01 Accu-Shadow in production division, but I'm thinking of getting the dovetail mounts for both the Shadow and my XDM 5.25 to try out CO.

The springer mount for the 5.25 works great