Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wow, I'm shocked - DPMS GII

Whoops!

Last week I bought a GII Bull with the intention of turning it into a very interesting custom build.  I've read good things about the Bull's accuracy and the BCG, from the factory, is within spitting distance of a Low Mass BCG from JP Precision for the AR-10. 

I was excited to receive the GII and promptly took it to the range.  I was very impressed with how similar it's profile was to an AR-15.  Prior to this point I had read many instances where DPMS .308s showed cratered primers.  The other DPMS .308 I had did not have this issue, but I was still leary enough due to all of the reports.  The GII bull shot better than I had hoped for a factory 308 with no muzzle brake. 

However,  the 4 rounds I shot had severely cratered primers and ejector marks. 

Ironically, I had read other reports that did not believe a headspace problem would cause these issues.

The gun easily chambered a no-go gauge under finger pressure.  The gun is now travelling for warranty work on Remington's dime, which I am grateful for.

What I am not grateful for; however, is DPMS selling me a factory new gun that was more dangerous than any custom build I've ever shot. 

The wait begins.

I bought a GII Recon last winter.  In spite of everything I did to change it around it has fed/fired/ejected every round I've put through it (SA surplus).  I think I've finally got it where I want it and I've got some brass ready to start working up loads.  PITA changing stuff around though.  Somebody used rockset on every nut/screw except the barrel nut (really - rockset on the threads for the DPMS quad rail, on the jam nut for the quad rail, the set screws on the gas block, the gas tube was even glued into the gas block with rockset before they put the roll pin in, and of course, the flash suppressor - I can understand that last one, not the rest though.)

I've changed the free float tube, the gas block, and the gas tube, as well as the buffer, buffer tube/spring and stock.

I can't say I am surprised as someone who is responsible for issue DPMS  5.56 guns. Its usually about a 20% problem rate with this company. Meaning out of 10 guns issued 2 have problems. 

Your department buys and issues these to all officers or just those who don't choose to buy their own?

I'd think in this day and age it would be pretty easy to dump one manufacturer for another if you have a high failure rate.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Tokarev said:

Your department buys and issues these to all officers or just those who don't choose to buy their own?

I'd think in this day and age it would be pretty easy to dump one manufacturer for another if you have a high failure rate.

Worked for 2 departments that issued DPMS guns. Both allowed personally owned rifles as well. The new guys and non gun guys generally run the department guns. The issue with dropping a manufacture is both agencies were not wealthy. We don't routinely replace so we have to work with what we had. At both departments I went through the guns and got them running. But they should have left the factory that way. A few had to be sent back for new barrels due to undersized chambers. That is the biggest heart burn I have with DPMS is they seem to want to get too much life out of their chamber reamers often having chambers way too tight. Not a good thing on a duty gun. I won't carry one. Even outside of my departments I have seen more issues with DPMS guns in training with other agencies than any other brand. 

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Worked for 2 departments that issued DPMS guns. Both allowed personally owned rifles as well. The new guys and non gun guys generally run the department guns. The issue with dropping a manufacture is both agencies were not wealthy. We don't routinely replace so we have to work with what we had. At both departments I went through the guns and got them running. But they should have left the factory that way. A few had to be sent back for new barrels due to undersized chambers. That is the biggest heart burn I have with DPMS is they seem to want to get too much life out of their chamber reamers often having chambers way too tight. Not a good thing on a duty gun. I won't carry one. Even outside of my departments I have seen more issues with DPMS guns in training with other agencies than any other brand. 

Pat

Lots of choices nowadays for inexpensive AR's I'd think. And with the market the way it is you'd think some of these companies would be eager to assist underfunded agencies. Or at least they should be.

2 hours ago, Tokarev said:

Lots of choices nowadays for inexpensive AR's I'd think. And with the market the way it is you'd think some of these companies would be eager to assist underfunded agencies. Or at least they should be.

We have a chief that does not like to spend money. I spend my own money to make the training as good as possible for the guys. Wish it were not that way but it is. 

We have a chief that does not like to spend money. I spend my own money to make the training as good as possible for the guys. Wish it were not that way but it is. 

I know how that goes. You do the best with what you've got. That is all you can do.