Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 5.25 .40 s&w competition holster

Blindrage

Forum search really did not turn up anything so I thought I would ask the experts. 

My XDM has shipped, so just waiting on it to arrive. My plan is mostly for running the rig in 3 gun, but I may also do some other forms of competition. 

My original thought was to run a Safariland 014, but I was also thinking I might want something with a little more coverage while maintaining some kind of retention system. Of course even the manufactures of holsters can not seem to come up with a searchable method of finding everything that might work with a specific model or do a lousy job of showing the details of the retention system. 

So I am looking for some ideas from people that have run this in 3gun, about the only holster I have already ruled out is Blackhawk's models since I have both seen and heard of some NDs when using them. Extra points for recommending something based on personal experience running something in 3gun.  

I have used three different types of XDm holsters, and settled on the Comp Tac model. Retention type holsters had had more problems then any other holster I have seen. While they are very functional in law enforcement services, for competition I think they lack any value. I simply made sure the XDm is tight enough in the holster that you can literally jump up and down, slap the butt of the pistol around, hold the holster up side down, and then run like a rabid ape to make sure you have it tight enough.

As far as DQ's, I know of two with retention holsters. I personally had one in a 3 gun match with the XDM. Stage 1, just fired my first 20 M4 rounds, grabbed the shotgun and was running forward. Felt this weird metal object hit my back then drop down my leg. Yep, that was my gun hitting the ground. Lesson learned, make damn sure the gun is ALL the way into the holster.

Thanks Mont, but I guess I was not clear when I mentioned a retention holster. I meant that I was looking for something with more that just friction fit. I really want something with a thumb lock of some type like the Safariland ALS system, but they are not currently producing anything for the XDM 5.25 that I can find. 

• 5 weeks later...

This is what i am using for 3 gun. My local club likes to make you crawl under things, and jump over objects, as well as shooting prone. I realize, it's not a retention holster, beside friction, but I've never had any issues with my XDm .40 that I shoot coming loose.

http://shop.blade-tech.com/index.php?cPath=1_130

I did end up going with the BladeTech, but I got the WRS model so that it has the hammer lock to make 100% sure this does not come out. 

I have only gotten it out to the range once, but so far I like it. The thumb break works easily and quickly, and after some small adjustments the gun slide out easily without catching. I am the type that will always keep my eye out for something even better, especially since this is a bit of an eyesore compared to others on the market, but it does the job well. 

My last big decision for three gun before I sign up for my first competition is if I am going to order an Armalite M15 Competition or stick with my Tavor X95 bullpup  for awhile. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2017 at 8:36 AM, Blindrage said:

I did end up going with the BladeTech, but I got the WRS model so that it has the hammer lock to make 100% sure this does not come out. 

I have only gotten it out to the range once, but so far I like it. The thumb break works easily and quickly, and after some small adjustments the gun slide out easily without catching. I am the type that will always keep my eye out for something even better, especially since this is a bit of an eyesore compared to others on the market, but it does the job well. 

My last big decision for three gun before I sign up for my first competition is if I am going to order an Armalite M15 Competition or stick with my Tavor X95 bullpup  for awhile. 

You should probably go to a few matches before you spend any more money on gear.