Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Volquartsen 22/45

blacklab

I have a 22/45 lite that ran great with only a Volquartsen trigger kit installed so over the winter I thought I'd upgrade to a complete Volquarsen lower. Now I cant get it to run, it will not feed the shells reliably. After playing with it I figured out the problem. The mags fit real loose in the lower, if I push up and front on the base pad it feeds perfect, all the mags are stock Ruger and they all fit loose. Has anyone else had this problem and what is the cure? Do I need different base pads for the Volquartsen lower and if I do will they still work with a Ruger lower? I'm using the Ruger lower as a backup pistol and don't really want to have to carry around 2 sets of mags.

I've had problems with Volquartsen stuff.  I particularly did not like their lower.  It went back to them twice to fix what should have been standard operation.  In neither case was I satisfied.  I sold the pistol and went with a full race Buckmark.  Now that Buckmark is my Wife's target pistol, and I shoot 22 uppers on 1911 frames.  I'm much, much happier with them from a reliability standpoint.

5 hours ago, mosher said:

What barrel and are you using the spacers?

It's a stock Ruger barrel and I've tried messing with the spacers, it didn't help.

4 hours ago, zzt said:

I've had problems with Volquartsen stuff.  I particularly did not like their lower

That's not what I was hoping to hear, I thought I was upgrading when I went with their lower. What uppers are you using on your 1911's? I was originally going to go that rout and was talked out of it, I was told none of them are very reliable.

I first tried a Nelson Custom conversion.  I was a Bob Marvel design that was originally sold by Nighthawk Custom Firearms.  I had problems with two of them and finally sent it back for a refund.  Mostly mag related and feed problems.

I then bout a Marvel Precision Unit 1 from Marvel Precision.  It is the original bob Marvel design that was improved on by Marvel Precision.  I ordered it with the .400" to .499" accuracy guarantee at 50 yards with Eley Target ammo.  It is 100% reliable.  I use it for bullseye where the last thing in the world you want is an Alibi.  One round of CCI standard did not fire after multiple attempts, but that's not the conversions fault.  I shoot CCI standard plastic box for practice and Eley Target and SK Standard+ for bullseye.

My competition conversion is a custom one made for me by Chet Whistle of CW Accessories.  He makes conversions and accessories for the GSG 1911.  It consists of his Exoskeleton 3 with his custom barrel and all the rest of his upgrade components.  The only GSG part he uses is the bolt.  His isn't ready yet.  I had some teething pains with it at first, because I was using it on two custom 1911s.  His stuff is designed for standard 1911s.  Once the problem areas were identified and corrected, it runs well.  I can't say it runs 100%, because I get in the way sometimes.  With this unit the entire slide reciprocates.  That is not a problem, except that I have a habit of riding the safety.  I sometimes ride it too hard and touch the slide.  That slows the slide down and causes a misfeed.  I have the same problem on my Open guns.  Once I learned to stop doing that, the problems stopped.  It will barely run on standard ammo.  It works and is reliable, but the brass almost dribbles out.  I use the variable rate spring because I like the feel.  It runs 100% with CCI AR TActical and Minimag ammo.

Note:  CWA's custom barrel has a beefy feed ramp.  It is designed to use the GSG mags.  You can use the cheap plastic mags but the have to be modified first.  It's easy to do. 

I would stay away from the Kimber and Ciener uppers.  Advantage arms uppers work, as do the Marvel Precision Unit 2 conversions.  The Unit 2's entire slide reciprocates, as does the advantage.  With the Mark 1, the slide is stationary and only a part of it moves back.  BTW, you can order an extra power recoil spring with the Unit 1 and shoot hi-speed ammo.

If I could only have one 22 conversion, it would be the Unit 1.  I have the compensator for it and the different weight recoil springs.  The only reason I don't use it for Steel Challenge, etc. is it looks like a bullseye gun.  The CWA upper is waaay racier.

BTW2, I was originally told to stay away from conversion units because of the reliability issues.  I did the research.  It turns out that there are some real junk conversions out there.  I originally didn't want to spend the money for the Unit 1, but I thought better of it.  If thousands of bullseye shooters use it, it must be okay.  They cannot afford a malfunction, because then they call an Alibi and take a big scoring hit on the reshoot.

Edited by zzt

Thanks for the input ZZT. My original plan was to go with the Marvel unit one and put it on my Steal Master frame. I did talk to Chet at one point but if I remember correctly the Exoskeleton isn't compatible with the 2011 platform. Maybe I should think about selling the 22/45's and going back to plan A.

I don't think you will get the Unit 1 or the CWA to run on a Steelmaster without modification.  Marvel Precision flat out says it will not run on a 9MM gun.  The problem is the 9mm ejector.  Later this morning I'll try to put both my uppers onto two 2011 40sw guns.  The 40 and 9mm both use the same ejector.

b, I tried the Unit 1 on both pistols.  I could not get the conversion all the way on because the rail hit the frame mounts.  However, I looked down the rear and could see that the slide would hit the ejector.  I didn't try the CWA because the reflex sight is Loctited to the slide and I didn't want to break the bond.

It looks like you are back to square one unless you have a 1911 45 to put the unit on.  That's a better choice anyway, because you have a wider range of mag choices and they are a lot cheaper than 2011 22LR mags.

If interested, you can build a dedicated 1911 frame for the conversion, for not a lot of money.  The Marvel Unit 1 is complete and locks onto the special slide stop.  The bulk of the slide and the barrel are fixed and do not move.  So you don't have to "fit" the frame rails to the conversion.  If it slides on, you are good to go.  You don't need a 1911 ejector.  So all you really need is a frame, a mag release, and the firing system.

Steve 

• 4 weeks later...

im having the same issue with a volquartsen barrel on my 10/22 no ruger mags will work at all, they cant up in the chamber or feed are about 3 degrees, i thought that would have been great.... but heck no. i run butler creeks, they sit parallel and it runs like a sewing machine.... im perplexed too.... good luck is all i can say  

Absolutely shocked to hear this about volquartsen.  Everything on youtube seems to indicate they are simply the best option for customizing your 22.  Thanks for the honest feedback about their products.