Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is major falling out of favor in Limited

Majja

2 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

That your battle cry of "change it and they will come" or "they're missing out a a YUUUUUGE market segment", is bull.

Maybe as it applies to those divisions.  There are exponentially more people that have +10 capacity 9mms than PCCs or carry guns with optics.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Jeff226 said:

What does that have to do with allowing limited minor shooters, who already outnumber both of those divisions by far, have a competitive division?

Limited minor is already a thing... if you want to shoot 9mm in Limited, then go shoot it.  

If you want to be competitive with 9mm, shoot one of the divisions which already exist where 9mm is king.

Everyone shooting Limited major at your match and you want to win shooting 9mm?  Try L-10... I bet L-10 minor would be competitive at most clubs (at least around here).

1 minute ago, Jeff226 said:

Maybe as it applies to those divisions.  There are exponentially more people that have +10 capacity 9mms than PCCs or carry guns with optics.

Whatever bro. You've got a decision made and aint changing. Honestly, I think you just like the attention.

1 minute ago, SCTaylor said:

Whatever bro. You've got a decision made and aint changing. Honestly, I think you just like the attention.

Pot meet kettle?

I am simply discussing the obvious scoring advantage that all of us without our heads inserted up our behinds acknowledge.  I understand there are lots of people attached to their 40s or having a class where they can rank up simply by shooting a different caliber and if that makes you feel better about yourself more power to you.

9 minutes ago, Jeff226 said:

I understand there are lots of people attached to their 40s or having a class where they can rank up simply by shooting a different caliber and if that makes you feel better about yourself more power to you.

EVERYONE serious in limited shoots .40, so you can't 'rank up' by shooting a different caliber.

5 minutes ago, Jeff226 said:

At one time, a majority of people said why do we need automobiles when we already have all of these horses and buggies.

Not really the same, we already have a place for you horse and buggy. It's called revolver, want to run top fuel try open. Minor is competitive in SS depending on the match. Minor dominates Revolver division. Production and CO and PCC are minor scoring only.

If it makes you feel better I will acknowledge that Major has a scoring advantage. 1 point per Charlie. And yes there are a lot of people attached to there 40's. I think you keep missing people point out that this is one to the most popular divisions in the sport. If you change the rules you risk pissing off a significant portion of our population. That doesn't make any sense at all. And your reason, we MIGHT make the sport more appealing to people who shoot 3 gun.

But, maybe you're right and L-Minor will be YUGE. I just checked the results from Area 5 and 20 people shot minor. Now some of them may have shot minor by accident, but with 20 shooters this could be as big of a division as revolver, maybe even L-10.

Just now, motosapiens said:

EVERYONE serious in limited shoots .40, so you can't 'rank up' by shooting a different caliber.

do you even talk to people at matches?

I have lost track of how many production or new shooters try limited, finish near the bottom, we explain the major scoring advanatge, and they come back with a 40 and better results.

2 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Not really the same, we already have a place for you horse and buggy. It's called revolver, want to run top fuel try open. Minor is competitive in SS depending on the match. Minor dominates Revolver division. Production and CO and PCC are minor scoring only.

If it makes you feel better I will acknowledge that Major has a scoring advantage. 1 point per Charlie. And yes there are a lot of people attached to there 40's. I think you keep missing people point out that this is one to the most popular divisions in the sport. If you change the rules you risk pissing off a significant portion of our population. That doesn't make any sense at all. And your reason, we MIGHT make the sport more appealing to people who shoot 3 gun.

But, maybe you're right and L-Minor will be YUGE. I just checked the results from Area 5 and 20 people shot minor. Now some of them may have shot minor by accident, but with 20 shooters this could be as big of a division as revolver, maybe even L-10.

Very much the same, there will always be short sighted people.

I have lost track of how many production or new shooters try limited, finish near the bottom, we explain the major scoring advanatge, and they come back with a 40 and better results.

Sorry, try again... most new shooters finish near the bottom, regardless of what division, gun or cartridge they ran. 

If the only reason you give them for coming in [nearly] last is that they're shooting minor and everyone else in the division is shooting major, they're going to be sadly disappointed the next match when they bring their new gear and still finish near the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Jeff226 said:

perhaps they come back with some practice, and are less of noobs. I see noobs show up with fancy state-of-the-art gear and finish at the bottom too. Shooting is hard.

if you are advocating a noob division, where people can shoot something like limited with whatever gun they have laying around the house, I'm not sure it will be successful.

Edited by motosapiens

Just now, N3WWN said:

Sorry, try again... most new shooters finish near the bottom, regardless of what division, gun or cartridge they ran. 

If the only reason you give them for coming in [nearly] last is that they're shooting minor and everyone else in the division is shooting major, they're going to be sadly disappointed the next match when they bring their new gear and still finish near the bottom.

Because nobody comes to USPSA from IDPA or 3 gun or action pistol or some other shooting discipline?  They all just show up out of nowhere with no experience?

Because nobody comes to USPSA from IDPA or 3 gun or action pistol or some other shooting discipline?  They all just show up out of nowhere with no experience?

If the shooter was good he wouldn't finish near the bottom shooting minor. I like doing the math to see where I would of finished if I shot minor, typically there is no change in my finish.

Just now, Jeff226 said:

the ones that come from idpa and 3gun suck as bad as any other noobs, because those sports either discourage accuracy (3gun) or discourage shooting and moving quickly (IDPA).

But I like where you are going with some of your ideas. For example, we often have noobs show up with ported guns, and they have to shoot open, and it hurts their feelers. We need to be far-sighted and change the open rules so there is no advantage to having a dot. Then the sport will like totally grow and stuff, lol.

Just now, DukeEB said:

So, you don't have a quote or reference for it?  Got it.

You disagree with it, use your impressive intelligence and find something that disproves my claim.  I am not running history classes in the Brian Enos forum.

1 minute ago, Racinready300ex said:

If the shooter was good he wouldn't finish near the bottom shooting minor. I like doing the math to see where I would of finished if I shot minor, typically there is no change in my finish.

I was entered wrong at A1. when they changed my scoring to minor, it cost me 2-3%.

for a 3-gun shooter the difference may be more dramatic, since those guys usually hit lots of charlies and deltas.

Edited by motosapiens