Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230gr round nose with Clays

eboos

Ran a couple of test batches of 230gr round nose over Clays. Loaded some Berry's plated and some Blue Bullets. Over the same powder charges, the plated rounds were about 40 fps slower than the Blue Bullets coated lead. All were loaded to 1.255 OAL with CCI large primers. 3.5/3.6 (this drop was teetering between the two measurements and my scale doesn't readout in hundredths) gave me an average of 715 fps with the Blue Bullets and 677 with Berry's. 3.8 gave me 755 fps with Blue and 709 (if I remember correctly) with Berry's. 

I ran a batch of Blue Bullets over 3.8gr of Clays in yesterday's match, and then shortly after ran some of my left over Blue 200gr SWC over 4.3gr of Clays (1.220 OAL). The recoil felt the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In my experience plated always run slower than coated or bare lead. Someone posted a reason for it and don't remember why. I just make it easy and shoot coated lead called PC Bullets. AKA: Purple Paper Eaters or Purple Drops of Liberty

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Went back to Clays 4.2 grains with a 200 SWC. OAL 1.245-1.25

Was my pet load for years. Only found 4-5 lbs made in Australia.

Ran 100 yesterday at a USPSA match

It is good to have my old standbye load ready.

IMVHO

Thanks

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2017 at 8:52 PM, bigdawgbeav said:

In my experience plated always run slower than coated or bare lead. 

fact.    I loaded several thousands of bare lead, then switched to coated lead without a change in powder charge.  Tried a batch of plated and noticed the loss in fps.  

12 hours ago, SJan said:

fact.    I loaded several thousands of bare lead, then switched to coated lead without a change in powder charge.  Tried a batch of plated and noticed the loss in fps.  

you are correct sir.  Bare lead and coated lead shoot about the same.  I'm currently sticking with my coated lead.  Still have some plated but saving some of those for SD rounds and or just straight up plinking.