Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GMR-13 124gr 7 bullet comparison

I originally started shooting M&Ps which loved 147s (Xtreme).  I bought a lot of them and they run great in both my Atlas Gunworks IDPA 2011 and my JP GMR-13 PCC (USPSA).  However, one night a friend had me try his 124gr loads in my GMR-13 and I liked them much better.  So, I bought 10k Berry's Plated from Midway for $69 per K.  Not long after shooting the 124s I realized they were not as accurate as my 147s.

The same friend gave me 6 different 124s plus I had the Berry's .  I crono'd and shot groups with all of them.  I seated the bullets to the OAL that the press was setup for 1.13.  Because of the different bullet profiles the OAL varied. The same powder charge was used for all (3.5gr of Red Dot). 

Groups were all shot at 25y using a sturdy bench and using the vortex Razor with the 3 moa dot.  Crono measurements will be edited in later

A2A39DFC-F783-4AA7-B0BF-6DCEA0CD7BFE_zps

Berry's Plated 124gr current load 132HF

49D2D390-589C-43BA-A73C-D14CAD465A99_zps

Everglades ammo 124gr HP

B3DF33F0-56A2-4218-A49E-2EE8A9588DEC_zps

Berry's 124gr flat point hollow base

6B967E0E-894B-430B-B2B6-BE83F5C2E884_zps

Extreme 124gr concave base

0650517D-45E8-4842-815C-07A8A740C11D_zps

124gr coated MFG unknown

AEFAF975-577F-4372-A46C-849EF7283CD2_zps

The other bullets may perform better with different powders/oal/crimp but from this particular test it'd be hard to choose anything other than the Everglades or maybe the coated lead (on price for relative performance)?

Edited by BeerBaron

Based on the color I my guess would be that you unknown coated bullet is from SNS Casting. I have had good results with their bullets.

Based on the results above I would shoot coated for practice and the Everglades for match.

You might try Precision Delta 124 JHP as well. Might be more economical than the Everglades.

I also have a JP barrel in my PCC and it took a while to find a bullet it liked. I tried about 6-7 different bullets, plated, coated lead, and FMJ and all were getting around 2-2.5" groups at 25 yards. Then I tried Precision Delta 124gr JHPs and those shot sub 1".

So I ordered a bunch and shot then in a match a week ago and had 2 failures to feed in about 100 rounds with them. My PCC has never had a malfunction before, but this was the first JHP I've shot in it. I'm hoping I can get then to work by playing with OAL. I loaded more a little longer and need to test those out. 

9 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I am surprised that the groups are not tighter than that? Not sure which powder you are using but my groups are really good using Tite Group powder. Could the bullets be slightly hitting the comp? Thanks, Eric

I agree with Eric.  I don't have pics but my "Sight-In" groups @ 25 yds using Hornady 124 RN FMJ were sub 1" through my JP GMR13 using 3.5 Tite Group. 

Hello: I just thought of something else that maybe going on. Is your scope mount tight and is your barrel nut tight also. I would also check the comp as well. Maybe remove the comp and see how it shoots. Something is just not right here and is interesting to see what it actually ends up being. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, Old3GNR said:

I agree with Eric.  I don't have pics but my "Sight-In" groups @ 25 yds using Hornady 124 RN FMJ were sub 1" through my JP GMR13 using 3.5 Tite Group. 

Where you shooting 10rd groups.  What led me down this path was a range session with a nice bench rest and shooting at 100y.  The group with the Berry's was not good.  My buddy got a better group out of his Atlas open gun.

1 hour ago, MegaCleanCab said:

I am heavily invested in red dot and am not looking to go with another powder at this time.

Hello: Red Dot is a very fast shotgun powder, faster than Clays on some charts. That maybe part of the problem. I would try another slower powder and see what happens if you are looking for better groups. Thanks, Eric

17 hours ago, MegaCleanCab said:

Where you shooting 10rd groups.  What led me down this path was a range session with a nice bench rest and shooting at 100y.  The group with the Berry's was not good.  My buddy got a better group out of his Atlas open gun.

I was shooting 3 shot groups and then adjusting the sights.  Shot several groups, all within 1".