Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first reshoot.

calebj06

So I officially got my first reshoot this weekend and it was on the classifier of all things!!  

Name of the stage was Six I believe. Pretty basic. Target on left two poppers in the middle target on the right. Start up range in surrender. 

I shot the right target first then the two poppers then the left. First shot on the left side was fine but the second shot made my heart stop!  I was sure it was a squib. My first ever!  And the RO was yelling for me to stop which I had deffinatly already done.

But the odd thing was, I knew it wasn't a squib because I clearly could see two holes in the target!!  

Ended up it was just a VERY light load. The slide never even moved, but the round did exit the barrel and hit the target. 

I was using mostly factory ammo that match but I had a handful of reloads that were left over so I was using them up. I had also been having some problems with my powder measurer a while back but I though I had checked EVERY SINGLE ONE of those stupid rounds. Guess I missed one!

So then came the question of a reshoot. Should I get one?  If it had truly been a squib, then no. Tough luck. But it wasn't and the RO stopped me anyway. 

Conclusion was yes. That even though I finished all the targets the RO stopped me befor the "if finished" command. I could have decided to check my targets and make up any shots if he hadn't of stopped me. (Which I did have a Mike!!!!). 

We also decided that he 100% made the right call to stop me although I was already stopping anyway. 

So i took a minute to compose myself and reshot the 5 second stage!  Cleaned up that silly Mike and shaved a full second off my time!  

Sometimes it works in your favor, but like I said, we all felt he did the right thing. Safety first!

caleb. 

59 minutes ago, calebj06 said:

So I officially got my first reshoot this weekend and it was on the classifier of all things!!  

Name of the stage was Six I believe. Pretty basic. Target on left two poppers in the middle target on the right. Start up range in surrender. 

I shot the right target first then the two poppers then the left. First shot on the left side was fine but the second shot made my heart stop!  I was sure it was a squib. My first ever!  And the RO was yelling for me to stop which I had deffinatly already done.

But the odd thing was, I knew it wasn't a squib because I clearly could see two holes in the target!!  

Ended up it was just a VERY light load. The slide never even moved, but the round did exit the barrel and hit the target. 

I was using mostly factory ammo that match but I had a handful of reloads that were left over so I was using them up. I had also been having some problems with my powder measurer a while back but I though I had checked EVERY SINGLE ONE of those stupid rounds. Guess I missed one!

So then came the question of a reshoot. Should I get one?  If it had truly been a squib, then no. Tough luck. But it wasn't and the RO stopped me anyway. 

Conclusion was yes. That even though I finished all the targets the RO stopped me befor the "if finished" command. I could have decided to check my targets and make up any shots if he hadn't of stopped me. (Which I did have a Mike!!!!). 

We also decided that he 100% made the right call to stop me although I was already stopping anyway. 

So i took a minute to compose myself and reshot the 5 second stage!  Cleaned up that silly Mike and shaved a full second off my time!  

Sometimes it works in your favor, but like I said, we all felt he did the right thing. Safety first!

caleb. 

How did you check every single one of your reloads and decide that they were good?

2 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

How did you check every single one of your reloads and decide that they were good?

As I was weighing loads for my ladder tests I was having some crazy throws so I decided to just weigh and trickle every single one. 

Then after I settled on a charge I carefully visually inspected each powder drop before I seated a bullet and I also weighed about ever 10th one. I had 10-15 that literally had 1gr or less. It was pretty easy to see. 

What i I think happened is I also had some round in that mismatched lot that were from the loading session befor the problem. I'm guessing that the problem started during that session and I didn't know it therefore I had one of those REALLY light loads in that lot. 

10 minutes ago, calebj06 said:

I visually inspected each powder drop before I seated a bullet

I learned, The Hard Way, that this step (visually inspecting each powder drop - (VIEPD)

is essential in reloading.   Need a good light source.

Otherwise, you can blow up your gun     :ph34r:

I will also say that it was dumb to take the mismatched leftover stuff to the match. 

I had three mags that were already loaded with that stuff and I just thought "ah it will be ok. They need shot". 

Yeah as as soon as that stage was over I emptied them all and shoot all factory stuff the rest of the day. 

7 hours ago, calebj06 said:

As I was weighing loads for my ladder tests I was having some crazy throws so I decided to just weigh and trickle every single one. 

Then after I settled on a charge I carefully visually inspected each powder drop before I seated a bullet and I also weighed about ever 10th one. I had 10-15 that literally had 1gr or less. It was pretty easy to see. 

What i I think happened is I also had some round in that mismatched lot that were from the loading session befor the problem. I'm guessing that the problem started during that session and I didn't know it therefore I had one of those REALLY light loads in that lot. 

Weighed before completing the round or after? Weighing completed rounds doesn't work...too much variation in brass weight

I had a reshoot last week,no squib,,

4 targets on left, star and three plates in center,,four targets on right..

when I shot the star three plates fell with one shot,I finished they scored it,,peanut gallery said I should reshoot.

next I shot it faster hitting all plates..?

10 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Weighed before completing the round or after? Weighing completed rounds doesn't work...too much variation in brass weight

Definatly before.