Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Shotgun?

I need some recommendations, but first, I have to tell my history.  For almost 20 years I only owned one shotgun a Mossberg 590 - and I am quite good with it.  Then I got corrupted, first with an 1100, then a couple of Mossberg 930's, a Mossberg 835, a Supernova and even a Beretta 1301 comp.  The 1100 was a sweet shooting gun - still the softest I have ever had - but even with the extended latch, it was a very slow reload, and then a buddy wanted it, so I traded it. My first 930 was the SPX and I loved everything about that gun except the LPA sights sucked for anything other than slugs/buck.  It got traded for a bunch of work on my house to a buddy that is a shooter.  This is when I decided that Shotguns are easier to shoot with Vent ribs than sights. The second 930 is a JMpro tactical, that has been massaged by Hawkeye Tactical Ordinance, and it is awesome.  

The Mossberg 835 was a failed experiment to make a "long 590".  I started with a parkerized gun, and basically built a duplicate of my 590, only with a vent rib and chokes but it never worked worth a crap, and would not shoot the ammo I use without jamming so I gave up on it and traded it.   Then y'all turned me on the the supernova, and I like it because the reloads are so much faster.  There does not seem to be a practical way to add a match saver without buggering something else, but I can work with that.  I then tried a 1301 comp, and while it was an awesome gun, it just wasn't for me, so it got sold.

So, for those of you keeping score, I have a 590 with a BILLION rounds through it, a 930JM tactical, and a Supernova, all are 4 feet long, set up for 3 gun with extended tubes, etc.   What I think I want now is a shorter "fun gun" that I can use in place of the old 590, with a 20 or maybe 22" barrel that fits in a regular double bag (unlike the supernova or the JM pro that both only fit in my Safariland bag with the prolapse).  Obvious choices are a new 590, a new 930, or another supernova because I already have extra parts/chokes/etc. that will fit them.

I think 8+1 is a reasonable capacity, since I am more looking for light and fast than max capacity.  But before I bought the Supernova, I would not have believed that I would like it, just based on the looks and details.  I still think the forend is retarded, but I have gotten used to it.  So, here I am for recommendations that maybe don't fit my preconceptions of what I think will like.  It will probably see club-level 3 gun matches, but otherwise I haven't even decided semi or pump.  What 20" ish, 8 or so round shotgun should I be looking at?  

It sounds like you've spent a lot of time working with the Mossberg platform and have had success with it. How much effort do you want to invest in changing everything you already know? 

If you move to something else you will need to get used to a different safety style and location. You will also need to change your process for chambering a round from the tube, clearing a malfunction or clearing the gun at 'unload and show clear'. Something to consider from a retraining standpoint if you plan to keep the Mossbergs for larger matches.

I have at that, but OTOH, it was on the advice from here that I tried a supernova - and it's my favorite shotgun.  My only complaint is that it is so damn long (26" bbl, longer extension).  Getting a shorter nova/supernova is certainly an option, but part of the reason I am here asking is to get opinions that potentially contrast with my own, after all, I would still only have that 590 if not for the advice I have gotten on here.

2 Questions:  

There seems to be some debate on M2 vs M4 benellis, and both sides seem very passionate.  What are the pro-s and con-s in the context of what I want to do with them?

I have had a local dealer tell me that he has a SRM-1216 that he wants me to buy, and while I am pretty sure this is not an ideal 3 gun SG, it DOES look like fun.  Does anyone have any opinions about them or, I suppose as long as we are thinking of gimmick shotguns, I guess I can consider the Kel-tec and that US-ASSwhatever too...

I grew up hunting with a Remington 870. I thought that they were the only shotgun to have for years, and still own three of them (one of my favorites is a 1953 version with a small, ringed forend, man that one is smooth). I have to admit, I am now biased toward Benellis. I have a 24" Nova for HeMan/Heavy Metal and a 24" M1S90 (my favorite shotgun) for all other multi-gun use. Both have tubes even with the muzzle. I also have a Benelli Legacy 12 with a 28" barrel, basically because it is pretty. If you like your Super Nova and want a light, fast gun, I believe that you will love the way an M2 feels. My M1 is lighter than my Nova and feels better to me. Go out and shoot a Benelli auto, I think you will like them.

Hurley

On 5/24/2017 at 6:23 PM, logiztix said:

It sounds like you've spent a lot of time working with the Mossberg platform and have had success with it. How much effort do you want to invest in changing everything you already know? 

If you move to something else you will need to get used to a different safety style and location. You will also need to change your process for chambering a round from the tube, clearing a malfunction or clearing the gun at 'unload and show clear'. Something to consider from a retraining standpoint if you plan to keep the Mossbergs for larger matches.

Your point is well taken. I have had to retrain myself a bit to use the supernova, but I am so much faster reloading it,it was worth it. 

The m2 is sounding better but is that the model that needs healthy loads to function?

I am actually getting a little serious about a SRM 12-16.  I have rifles and pistols that I can shoot in open but no shotgun.  Does anyone have any experience with them?

3 hours ago, barrysuperhawk said:

Your point is well taken. I have had to retrain myself a bit to use the supernova, but I am so much faster reloading it,it was worth it. 

The m2 is sounding better but is that the model that needs healthy loads to function?

I am actually getting a little serious about a SRM 12-16.  I have rifles and pistols that I can shoot in open but no shotgun.  Does anyone have any experience with them?

My M2 runs 1 1/8 ounce loads at 1155 - 1200 FPs, Fiocchi and B&P slugs. The bolt has not been lightened, which will require heavier loads according to Kurt Miller.

My M1 will reliably cycle 1 1/8 loads at 1145 along with all of the low recoil slugs that I have tried (B&P, Federal Tru ball and Remington Reduced Recoil). The only loads that I have tried that don't reliably cycle are Winchester low noise 26gram at 980. There is a warning on the box that they won't work in autos, but it will cycle them maybe 10% of the time. My M1 is stock, with exception of a long Nordic tube and some slight polishing around the loading port. Stock springs (except for mag spring), stock bolt, carrier, bolt handle, shell carrier, etc. 

Don't fall into the trap of "you must spend a grand on an M2 to make it work". A custom M2 can be a thing of beauty, but they work out of the box, in my experience.

Hurley

Edited for clarification of stock parts in my M1

Edited by HRider

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I was just thinking this is going to become an expensive thread...

I picked up the Carlson Nova 18.5 barrel for less than $150 a few months ago. No vent rib, but threaded for chokes. Really changes the feel of the Nova when you knock off 10 inches.