Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 primer follow rod

New to the 1050, but I've noticed that in every batch of 100, I will get a case that is not primed, and subsequently, lots of powder ends up on my shell plate.  Annoying to say the least.  My primer follow rod already has a 124gr bullet on the top, capped off by a case, but I have to wonder, when the rod wobbles with a relatively full primer magazine, if that weight is working to feed the primer shuttle properly.

I'm guessing a more rigid rod with a weight on the top should help solve this issue?  I've seen the Level 10 Innovations primer follow rod as an option. Wondering if others have experienced the same as me, and how they fix this.

Clean the inside of the primer feed tube to make sure it is totally clean and make sure the blue primer tip is in good shape. Just snug the knurled nut at the top of the primer feeder..Lastly, make sure the primer slider arm is adjusted correctly. With the press completely compressed, bottom out the primer arm into the primer slider bar, raise the primer arm assembly .10 and tighten the allen bolt. Hopefully this helps..

I've. had this problem too.  Usually when I'm using Wolf primers.  Perhaps it's the quality of the primers?

Usually when this happens I can push the primers down using the rod, and they start to feed again, which leads me to a quality issue with the primer.

As GringoBandito said above, make sure you clean your primer tubes!  The first time I did that I was amazed at the yellow residue that was in the tube!

I'm hesitant to put any weight on the top of the priming rod.  Remember, if you do have a primer detonation the additional weight on the primer rod might not be a good thing!

8 hours ago, GringoBandito said:

Clean the inside of the primer feed tube to make sure it is totally clean and make sure the blue primer tip is in good shape. Just snug the knurled nut at the top of the primer feeder..Lastly, make sure the primer slider arm is adjusted correctly. With the press completely compressed, bottom out the primer arm into the primer slider bar, raise the primer arm assembly .10 and tighten the allen bolt. Hopefully this helps..

Thanks.  I will take a look at this.  My press is factory new.  I just broke 1000 rounds on this machine, but I will double check all those things.

8 hours ago, Henny said:

I've. had this problem too.  Usually when I'm using Wolf primers.  Perhaps it's the quality of the primers?

Usually when this happens I can push the primers down using the rod, and they start to feed again, which leads me to a quality issue with the primer.

As GringoBandito said above, make sure you clean your primer tubes!  The first time I did that I was amazed at the yellow residue that was in the tube!

I'm hesitant to put any weight on the top of the priming rod.  Remember, if you do have a primer detonation the additional weight on the primer rod might not be a good thing!

Using Federal and Winchester.  Didn't seem to happen with Federals, but I know those are slightly smaller.. could be the difference.

Don't need a weight on the rod to work, but many use a .45 case on the top any way.

Many times the tube gets some primer powder in it or the plastic tip gets damaged, so clean and inspect/replace.

Some folks don't understand finger tight and over-tighten the primer shield cap.

A damaged/missing rubber roll sleeve will cause priming problems.

Of course, after the horrors of getting primers over the last 8 years, there are bound to be more out-of-spec primers out there from every one trying to meet demand.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Absolutely!  A .45 upside down helps minor issues like that.

I did this but ended up hammering a 148gr HBWC into the case to add a touch more weight.  No more problems.

2 hours ago, RePete said:

I did this but ended up hammering a 148gr HBWC into the case to add a touch more weight.  No more problems.

I did the same, but used a Zero 230gr RN, works like a charm.