Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW ambi thumb safety removal

Chris_C

I just installed an EGW ambi thumb safety on a 1911.  Everything seems right, but the joint between the two sides is so tight that I can't remove the safeties to disassemble the gun now.  I imagine I could pry under the safety with a small screw driver but I'm scared of scratching the finish.  Any tips?

I use a plastic Armorers tool to pry it out once I get it started.  The trick is to put the safety in just the right position before starting.  That position is not quite halfway between fire and safe.  When you get it to that position, do not pull straight out.  You'll be forever.  Instead, grip the lever an pull with a pivoting motion as though you were trying to get the shaft of the safety to come out first.  In actuality, you are trying to pull the safety straight out from the gun. 

On a 1911 you can remove the right side grip panel and then remove the right side of the safety.   The left side can then be removed like a standard safety. 

On a 2011 the left side must be removed first. 

EGW's Ambi safety is one of the ones where the right safety is retained by a custom hammer pin.  You cannot remove the right safety without first removing the left.

Chris, try wiggling the safety in and out perpendicular to the frame.  The safety wants to come straight out.  If you are just pulling outward on the paddle, you'll have a tough time.  I start with the front of the frame facing me.  I grab the paddle as far back as I can and then pull it out to the right by rotating my wrist.  I also wiggle it up and down while doing that, because there is only one position where it wants to come out.

I've watched Brandon do it a 100 times.  Use a plastic block or plastic hammer and tap on the far end of the paddle.

Can you elaborate? Is a wedge under the safety needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk