Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

13 DQ At Single Stack Nationals?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Gary Stevens said:

I remember a shooter who left two very expensive Steve Nastoff guns in his bag sitting on the range and went to the hotel. Guns were found and returned to him.

Good folks we shoot with.

Indeed!

3 hours ago, OPENB said:

Thread drift question. If you drop your gun in a safe area, unloaded of course, do you still need an RO to pick it up?

My best guess is no. Since you are authorized to handle your handgun I would think that included the ground.

39 minutes ago, Gary Stevens said:

My best guess is no. Since you are authorized to handle your handgun I would think that included the ground.

I can't argue with the logic of what you say, but not sure if that is correct.

The safety area is not a general allowance to do things with guns but says it allows specific things whereas the rule for recovery of a dropped handgun by an RO says always.  What is allowed in the safety area does not specifically cover allowing recovery of a dropped gun, while rule 10 does cover ALL instances of recovery, so the safe bet for a dropped handgun to me would be to follow the parameters of 10.5.14.

Rule 2.4.1:

“Competitors are permitted to use the Safety Areas for the activities stated below”

“A dropped gun must always be retrieved by a Range Officer”

4 hours ago, kernelofwisdom said:

I can't argue with the logic of what you say, but not sure if that is correct.

The safety area is not a general allowance to do things with guns but says it allows specific things whereas the rule for recovery of a dropped handgun by an RO says always.  What is allowed in the safety area does not specifically cover allowing recovery of a dropped gun, while rule 10 does cover ALL instances of recovery, so the safe bet for a dropped handgun to me would be to follow the parameters of 10.5.14.

Rule 2.4.1:

“Competitors are permitted to use the Safety Areas for the activities stated below”

“A dropped gun must always be retrieved by a Range Officer”

Yeah that logic thing fails sometimes.

21 hours ago, Bdavis said:

Everyone who shot the Single Stack Nationals was a current USPSA member.  They all either signed up (renewed) at check-in or presented a receipt showing they were current.  

Appreciate knowing this.  (And I see that the website has now been updated to show this, backdated to 5/18/17, prior to SS Nats.)

Which does leave the question "why was a non-member allowed to shoot Optics Nats" but I appreciate that the SS Nats staff checked and required membership.  Thanks!

Edited by Thomas H
edited because apparently I can't close parentheses, and it irks me leaving it that way

6 minutes ago, Distant Thunder said:

And even creepier still!

how is that creepy? a lot of restaurants have bathroom attendants! I am willing to tip accordingly!

I feel, as long as we don't make eye contact in the port-potty then it is ok!

the bench

On 5/22/2017 at 11:21 AM, Racinready300ex said:

I thought it was interesting that of the 8 shooters bumped to open 4 of them were women. I wonder what got them. I know women have a little different holster rules.

2 of the women that were bumped to Open for was for  Weight of their gun.

2 of the women that were bumped to Open for was for  Weight of their gun.

I thought about that after I posted. I was surprised go heavy my wife's gun was when I built it for her. I think 9's run a little heavier too

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think 9's run a little heavier too

Most certainly ... There's more metal left in the barrel after boring a 9mm hole than there is after boring a .45 hole!  The rest of the gun (can be) pretty much the same.

If you get bumped to open at single stack nationals how exactly does that work?  Your pretty much just shooting for no score right?

Edited by Edge40

1 hour ago, Edge40 said:

If you get bumped to open at single stack nationals how exactly does that work?  Your pretty much just shooting for no score right?

Your scores get posted as Open and you go through the Open prize table.

Oh wait ... There is no Open prize table!

44 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Your scores get posted as Open and you go through the Open prize table.

Oh wait ... There is no Open prize table!

But you can win your Division.

If you win Open Division at Single Stack Nationals, are you a National Champion?