Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag options for carry optics

pixel5

I am trying to decide what to do about Carry Optics in the long term. I'm using a Glock 17 MOS. I have no desire to spend $20-40 on each mag extension, so I was thinking about one of the following:

- Glock OEM +2 extensions, like the ones you find on the 33 rounders. 

This option would probably be the cheaper of the two, I can get these for $10-12 each and I'd only need 3 of them since I already have 2. Extends my capacity to 19 rounds.

- PMAG GL9 21 rounders

Less aesthetic, but holds 2 more rounds than the oem extension option. Would be $12 each and I'd need to buy 5 of them.

What would you do? Are there any other options you'd consider?

I don't shoot CO, but I've been using various sizes of ETS mags and they've worked well for me so far.  I have some of the 140mm 22 round mags and haven't had any issues with them in Glocks or my Glock mag PCC.  Getting that 22nd round in there is really hard and definitely not reloadable to 22, but just treating them as 21 round mags works fine.  If I were shooting CO I'd probably use those and also get at least one TTI 140mm extension as those are reloadable to 23 rounds so the extra 2 rounds might come in handy on certain stages.  I've never tried the Magpul 21 round mags so can't comment on those.

I do the magpul mags.  They seem to work ok.  If I could find some weighted basepads for them, I would probably get them.  Just for the piece of mind that they will drop when I want them to.

1 hour ago, dogtired said:

With Glock mags being so reliable, you really only need one plus 5.  Use factory or plus 2's after that.

Why only one? I am new to this whole sport so I don't know why someone wouldnt extend all their mags.

14 hours ago, ckfarris said:

I do the magpul mags.  They seem to work ok.  If I could find some weighted basepads for them, I would probably get them.  Just for the piece of mind that they will drop when I want them to.

I use the Magpuls as my reload mags in Open, and I love them. Even with just a couple rounds in them, they still just shoot right out of the gun. I have four of them total, and I've had zero malfunctions with them in the last year. 

I run the Dawson +5 on three factory glock 17 rounders, and usually load up all three on the belt.  I get 22 in each, no problem, every time.  

while 32 rounds is the norm, I've also seen USPSA stages with some difficult steel (like a mostly hidden TX star), where having extra rounds is a good thing.  And while it hasn't happened to me, yet...I have seen guys accidentally hit the mag release early in a stage, or have to drop a mag for some reason.  If I have a reload point scheduled based on a 22rd first mag, I don't want to have to rethink that.   I also like having standardized stuff, and I figure the extra weight of the dawsons helps the mag to drop.

In hindsight, I guess I could have gone with either of the 'factory' 21 rd mags (ETS or Magpul), but I still would have gone with 3 the same, for reasons mentioned above.  I already had the glock mags, and felt the investment in the Dawsons was warranted, as well.  I do shoot a local weekly steel match where 21 round stages aren't uncommon, though...and with 22 in the mag plus a barney, I can feel pretty good going at those without a reload. I've had them end on slide lock, meaning 21+1 wouldn't have done it :-)

I also use a stock 17 rounder somewhat often.  For one, it's a good barney mag, but then a couple of weeks ago, I shot a classifier that required a mandatory reload, and there was a good chance the mag would drop and hit concrete...on a tip from an open shooter, I decided to let the stock mag take that thump, just in case.  

TobyJ

On 5/20/2017 at 8:15 PM, pixel5 said:

Why only one? I am new to this whole sport so I don't know why someone wouldnt extend all their mags.

Shorter mags with factory-ish base pads are easier to consistently index in your palm at warp speed during reloads. The mags aren't as butt-heavy and thus flopping around in your mag carriers at a full sprint quite as much. Less likely to get snagged and popped out of a mag carrier when you draw the one in front of it or whack your hip against a doorframe...

If the stage allows for it, Limited Open and CO shooters will typically begin with a longer extended mag that has something akin to a +5 mag extension on it and use it until it's convenient to reload. Then reload with something a bit less long and bulky.

Courses vary so that isn't always the best option. Obviously.

The bare minimum you need for CO will be a single 140mm mag that holds 22-23+ and a couple of G17 mags with +2s on them. Adding spares is a good thing.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

OEM 17 mags with a Dawson base & the OEM spring/follower hols 23. The gear is a small cost compared to match fees, travel expenses, reloading equipment, components, etc.